January 31, 2013

My Very Own Theme Song

“I think I’m cute.  I know I’m sexy.  I got the looks, that drive the girls wild!”  BAH GAWD, THAT’S SHAWN MICHAELS’ MUSIC!

If there’s one thing the wrestling world has done correctly, its entrance music.  That first note hits, or the first words blare out, and everyone KNOWS who’s coming out, and whether it’s time to boo or mark out.

For all of you I’ve already lost, sorry about that.  This isn’t actually a post on professional wrestling; this is a post about music.  I’ve been thinking lately that it would be fun to have epic entrance music for myself.  Something that blares out when I enter a room…and everyone can stand up and cheer or boo (depending on if I’m good or evil at the time).  This, naturally, leads me to wonder what I’d pick as my own personal theme song/entrance music, if I had reason to have one!

Well, let’s look at some contenders!

One song that’s been stuck in my head lately is “Ties That Bind” by Alter Bridge.  Great band, great song…not entirely sure its entrance music worthy, though.  It doesn’t have that catchy hook in the beginning of the song that lets everyone know who’s coming.  But the theme of the song, breaking free from outside control, rising above, etc…good, strong message.  Eh… I think we can do better!

If I was to steal a theme song from the WWE (and no, I can’t pull off stealing Shawn Michaels’ song…not QUITE that arrogant), I’d probably go with either Edge’s “Metallingus”, another Alter Bridge song; or I’d take HHH’s “King of Kings” by Motorhead.  Both are strong, metal based songs about being freaking epic.  But that seems like a copout…those songs are spoken for.

My favorite musician is Billy Joel…I can listen to him on loop, and his concerts are always top notch!  While I doubt most of his songs would work as a theme song, its possible something like “Angry Young Man” or the instrumental “Root Beer Rag” would work.  No, not really.  Sigh.  Sorry Billy.

On top of Alter Bridge, I’ve also been listening to Hollywood Undead quite a bit, and there’s some potential here!  The chorus of “Levitate” is pretty legit, “City” would own pretty hardcore, and “My Town” or “Lights Out” seem like strong contenders as well.  Lights Out might be the best of the bunch, actually, but nothing is really jumping out at me as THIS IS THE SONG.   I’ll keep these in the back of my brain.

Maybe I should just use the Tigger Song (I AM bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy AND full of fun, fun, fun!) :-P

Hahaha, ok ok ok ok ok, I’m getting off track here.   I think we’re going to have to go to my people…ask around and see what some of my friends see as being a good theme song for me!  What better way to learn how others see you than to ask their opinion on what song they see as being the one to announce your arrival?

First up, friend-of-the-blog, and sometimes guest writer Chaz threw in his two cents: 

“Mr. Pinstripe Suit –Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.

My man is comfortable with a cocktail in the left hand and a lady on the right arm... Chill, collected, and smooth.  Don't look for him on the outskirts when the dance music starts, find the best lookin bird in the place and know he's the one cutting the rug with her.  He can throw the dice with the best of them and bet the sports book all before catching living art at a Cirque performance.  Connoisseur of fillet mignon and fine rum, collector and student of the arts, and a man with an ear for the finest of jazz.  The epitome of cool, Mr. Pinstripe Suit... My man Q.”

Now, that’s a suggestion (and quite the endorsement)!  Classy, sophisticated…just like me!  I like where your head is at, Chaz!

Next, I decided to get a female’s perspective.  Frequent reader and first time contributor C had the following suggestion: 

“Win By Brian McKnight.  The song is about overcoming all obstacles and never giving up in life.  As long as we keep pushing, keep persisting, we’ll definitely achieve whatever we set out to achieve.  That’s you bro.”

Thanks, bro!  C, you know me far too well!  C actually put a lotta thought into my theme song…and every idea she brought up before settling on Win was pretty spot on as well, for various reasons.  Well played! 

Finally, I went to my most musically inclined friend, Jimmy B, for his thoughts on the subject: 

JB:  “Call me Maybe?”


Thanks Jimmy B.  Way to take this seriously and come up with an actual suggestion. :-/  OK, let’s give him another chance at this.  Jimmy B…

JB:  “no seriously, one of those trans-Siberian heavy songs.”
Q:  “Any particular one?”
JB:  “I did not know any of those songs had names…”
JB:  “but next time you walk into a room, blast "call me maybe" I am sure you will get a response!”
JB:  “maybe some hotties will call you”
JB:  “maybe”

You know, that is a good point!  If the point of a theme song is to get people to notice, well, this would do it!  And the potential for hotties to call me (maybe), well…this has far more potential than I had originally given him credit for!

JB:  “plus that chick is hot in a Michelle Trachtenberg way”

SOLD!  I knew Jimmy B would come through for me!  Damn, I just realized my friends are far funnier and more creative than I could ever hope to be.

So yeah, all solid, solid choices.  But, you know, I think I have it narrowed down to two.  I’m either gonna have to go with “Clubbed to Death”, the instrumental in the movie The Matrix by Rob D, or “La Grange” by ZZ Top.  Clubbed to Death is just an epic song…and long enough that it can roll with me wherever I go (think Peter Griffin in that one episode of Family Guy where he wishes for theme music…except more ominous and epic).  And La Grange just seems like my kind of vibe, you know!  But which one to choose?

Oh, who am I kidding…we all know what my theme song is!


Ab-so-lutely!  That’s TOTALLY me!

Thanks for playing everyone!  Feel free to lay down either your own thoughts on what should be my theme song…or what you think your own theme song would be!  Its fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I put too much thought into it because you are right. The Muppets song IS your jamz. - C

Julie said...

I love Manuh Manuh! Excellent choice. Mine is "Hey Julie" by Fountains of Wayne, though Ken points out it's more of his. I'm for anything that says how awesome Julie is.