The San
Francisco 49ers are going to the Super Bowl!
My god it
feels good to be able to type that. It
feels good to be able to say that again.
I say it, I think it, I write it…and a big, goofy grin creeps across my
face. I can’t help it! It’s just too freaking awesome! The San Francisco 49ers are going to the
Super Bowl! There it is again! :D
It’s been 18
years since I’ve been able to say that.
To put that in perspective…I was 11 years old. I think that made me a 5th grader. Bill Clinton was President of the United
States at the time. The average price of
gas in the U.S. was $1.08 a gallon.
Steve Young was throwing TD passes to Jerry Rice. And I was just a little too young to
appreciate the whole thing.
Don’t get me
wrong, the Niners winning the Super Bowl, and especially crunching the
Chargers, was fun for 11 year old me!
But, I mean, comeon, I was 11. I
wasn’t going to games, I wasn’t part of massive fan parties and get
togethers. You become a much bigger
sports fan once you’re old enough to appreciate what’s going on, to have the
means to live and die with a team (so to speak)…to have giant parties with your
friends where you celebrate the team’s successes and agonize over their
shortcomings. Unfortunately, my biggest
sports fan years have been a wasteland of missed opportunities and futile anticipation
and hope. The Niners have been terrible,
up until recently. The A’s had some good
teams, only to come crashing down in the playoffs. And the Sharks, the biggest tease of them
all, had enough talent to staff two hockey teams at times…and yet constantly
came up short.
I was
recently in New Orleans (duh), and as you may remember from the recap, while I
was there, I went to a Saints Game. At
the Saints game, I wore my old Steve Young Niners jersey (the only jersey I own
that doesn’t look like a dress on me…and its from when I was in grade
school. Huh, maybe I’m getting
smaller). I said at the time that I was
bringing good Niners mojo to New Orleans a month before the Super Bowl was to
be there. This was the last NFL game
played in the Superdome before the Super Bowl gets there in two weeks. Hopefully the Niners continue the good mojo I
started there just a few weeks ago!
The 49ers
were the last of my “core-3” teams (as I like to call them) to make it to (and
win) a championship. All you Giants fans
out there (actually, this can apply to both sports) have been spoiled. SPOILED, I TELL YOU! I’ve been waiting a long friggin time to be
able to cheer one of my teams on in a Championship game. And in two weeks…I’ll finally get to do
so. It should be a sight to behold! Prepare yourself for Hurricane Q, Chateau
Gerhart…I’m coming in hot!
18
years. 18 years since the 49ers, one of
the great franchises in NFL history, has been to the Super Bowl. The 49ers were the first franchise to get to
5 Super Bowl wins…and held at least a share of the record for most Super Bowl
victories (with the Cowboys, and then also with the Steelers) until the
Steelers won their 6th a few years back. Now the Niners have a chance to catch them…to
get back to the top. The 49ers are 5-0
in the Super Bowl in their franchise’s history.
The Quest for Six heads to New Orleans!
The HarBowl must be won!



No comments:
Post a Comment