January 19, 2013

Hockey's Glorious Return

HOCKEY IS BACK, YOU GUYS!!!!  No, I'm serious...after a ridiculous lockout that lasted way longer than it had any right to last, hockey is back!  The puck drops today!  We'll finally be able to watch this beautiful sport being played at the highest of levels again.  The way skaters can stop on a dime and switch directions...the way a rocket of a slapshot seemingly has eyes for the back of Antti Niemi's net...the way that....

Wait, sorry, I can't do this.  I just can't.

This feels forced.  It doesn't feel forced to you guys?  Hockey was rolling along, highest attendance, highest interest, and highest profits of all time.  So, what do the owners and Gary Bettman do?? They whine and cry like little babies and lock out the players to try and squeeze more money out of them!  And now they expect me to just come running back and fork over my hard earned cash to them???

Fuck you, hockey owners.  And fuck you, Gary Bettman.  Your arrogance astounds me.  You deserve not one single dollar of any money I have.  During the lockout, I've grown disinterested in you.  I have found other pursuits worthy of my time and attention.  I've moved on!  Can I honestly say I'll never go back to an NHL game?  Of course not...Sharks games are fun.  But I will never, ever be as invested in the NHL and the Sharks as I once was.  You have ruined this beautiful relationship we once had (the one where I showed you undying love and devotion, and you took all my money).  It can never go back to the way it was.

So, hockey is back this weekend.  Today, the puck drops on an unnecessarily short season.  A season cut short by jealousy, greed, and ignorance.  And I find myself not caring even a little bit.  I won't be watching a hockey game today.  I will not be watching the Sharks season opener tomorrow.  I have much better things to do with my time!

Thank you very much.  And Go Niners!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Agreed. :-/