One of my
favorite quotes about life comes from Voltaire.
When discussing life, and what we all face in it, he states (quite
eloquently, I might add), “Each player must accept the cards life deals him or
her. But once they are in hand, he or
she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.” Particularly poignant considering I just
gambled in both New Orleans and Las
Vegas on the same day yesterday, but that’s beside the
point. It was with this in mind that
another Q's Adventure was born. A newly
single father of two and a perpetually single all around nice guy took the
cards they were dealt and played to win the game. New Years is a time of adventure, of new
beginnings, and of having a great time with great people. What better way to set ourselves up for
success in 2013 than to head to a place that had treated us well in the past,
the Crescent City !
Adventures
come about in many different ways.
Sometimes it’s a long standing family vacation, sometimes it’s a spur of
the moment roadtrip to the Grand Canyon …and sometimes
it’s a gut feeling that there’s somewhere you just belong. I have many places where I consider myself to
be “in my element,” by which I mean I’m happy, alive, buzzing…MYSELF! Princeville, Kauai , Disneyland ,
Sharks Games…these things top the list…but the French Quarter of New Orleans
does something to me too. I can be
content spending an entire afternoon just wandering around the streets of the
French Quarter, looking at the art around Jackson
Square and listening to the jazz bands posted up
on Royal Street . It can be a truly magical feeling, if you
just open your eyes wide and let the whole experience wash over you. When Bubs and I started talking about where
we should go for New Years this year, I knew the one place I was dying to get
back to.
Saturday
morning came, and it was off to New Orleans
I went. My parents were gracious enough
to drive all the way up to my house from Morgan Hill
just to take me to the airport. Super
cool of them. They even brought a very
excited little puppy along for the ride.
Puppy fur everywhere!
Now, anyone
who has read various online profiles of mine may have seen the following
statement: "I think rather highly
of myself, and will therefore treat myself to the things I think I deserve. I
try to keep this attitude throughout all things in my life, and it seems to be
working out pretty well." In that
vein, I decided to treat myself to first class travel on the way to New
Orleans . I had
the miles to get out there on American, so I figured it was well worth it! And boy was it. First class is really the only way to
travel. This was my first time flying
first class since I lost all this weight, and it was a whole new
experience! You see, I have developed a
rather boney butt, which poses its own problems during air travel. Was not an issue up in first class, though. Oh no, my tookus was treated with the upmost
comfort and style. These are the
important things in life!
Made it to New
Orleans more or less on time. Bubba, having gotten in about 2 hours before
me, waited around so we could cab it to the city together. He met me at baggage, where my bag was, no
joke, the very. last. bag. off. the. plane.
I wish I was joking or exaggerating.
But no. My bag came out, got half
way around the carousel, and the carousel shut down. That was it.
How unlucky do you have to be to draw that straw? Regardless, off we went to the French Quarter
and our New Years Extravaganza!
Once we got
checked in and unpacked (check out that view from the room!), we changed out of
our travel clothes and into much more presentable attire, and hit the town in
search for dinner. After finding 45
minute waits at some of the restaurants on Bourbon
Street , we headed down to Chartres
to check out our old favorite...Paul Prudhomme's French Quarter restaurant,
K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen. This place
is incredible. Paul Prudhomme is the man
who brought cajun cuisine to the masses.
Emeril Lagasse got his start under Paul's tutelage. He is probably most famous for popularizing
blackened redfish, and it was on this, and turtle soup (a cajun jewel), that I
dined upon the first evening in New Orleans . A phenomenal way to start the trip. After dinner we meandered down Bourbon
Street some, then went back to the hotel to
crash. Long day.
When
traveling, I like to experience local things.
This not only includes the cuisine (of which we sampled plenty of), but
also the local sports. On this Sunday,
the final day of the NFL regular season, Bubba and I took in a New Orleans
Saints game at the Louisiana Superdome!
There were three highlights of this game for me. First was the pregame meal, which was the
most delicious sausage I've ever had...an alligator sausage. It was just so tasty! Awesome choice. Second was looking down at my phone for what
had to only be 5 minutes, and looking up to see that the game had gotten out of
hand. I think the following words left
my mouth: "holy shit, when did Carolina
go from 30 to 44 points???" and everyone around me laughing. I'm sorry, I was making dinner reservations
and find it hard to care about two non-playoff teams with no defense! Third and final, after the game was over, Bubba took the following picture of myself:
Yup, I
brought Niners pride to the Superdome...the site of this year's Super Bowl...a
few weeks before the Super Bowl will be there.
I'm hoping the good mojo will lead the Niners to New Orleans
come February! That evening our dinner
was at Emeril Lagasse's French Quarter restaurant NOLA. It was here that my entire worldview changed
forever, simply because of the most delicious meal my taste buds had ever been
graced with. The meal: Hickory -Roasted
Duck with Whiskey-Caramel Glaze, Buttermilk Cornbread Pudding, Haricot
Verts-Fire Roasted Corn Salad, Natural Jus and Candied Pecans…hold the pecans,
of course, because it would kill me. I
am still having dreams about this duck.
It was tender, succulent, and sweet.
The harmony of flavors put on a symphony of deliciousness that I have
still yet to fully recover from. In
other words...it was fucking good. Words
do not do it justice. I finished off my
meal with some mango sorbet and a glass of ruby port. What a meal.
The next day
was New Years Eve...the final day of 2012!
Going into 2012, I said the following:
"2012 is going to be a phenomenal year." I firmly believed that and worked to make it
true. On this day, as we were walking
around the French Quarter, doing our shopping and checking out the scene, I had
one of those moments. I think I was
standing above Jackson Square ,
looking back towards St. Louis Cathedral, and I think to myself "wow, look
at where I am...as 2012 passes into 2013, I will be visiting a most remarkable
city, 2000 miles away from home, having a phenomenal time." I have these moments every now and then,
where I just look around, smile, and marvel at where I am at that single moment
in time. This was one of those
moments. It was amazing. I decided right then that 2013 was going to
surpass 2012. I made sure 2012 was the
greatest single calendar year in Patrick History...and now I was making a
promise to top it! I'm off to a damn
good start, I will say that much.
Anyways,
once our shopping was done, we posted up at the hotel bar to have some tasty
beverages and watch some college ball. A
few tasty beverages turned into many tasty beverages, and life was good. Then we extricated ourselves from this
situation, and wound up at The Court of the Two Sisters restaurant. There they had prepared for us a special New
Years Eve menu, consisting of four courses.
I chose the shrimp appetizer, the turtle soup, the crispy whitefish
topped with crab meat, and the creme brule.
All spectacular choices, if I do say so myself. A quality meal.
After
dinner, we headed over to Jackson Square
where Huey Lewis and the News were having a free concert as part of the Sugar
Bowl Fan Fest! Score! Have to say, them boys still got it! And when they busted out Power of Love to
start the encore...yeah, I was bouncing around singing at the top of my
lungs. Who's embarrassed??? Certainly not I...you would be lucky to be in
my presence when I'm this happy. That
night we ended up in Jackson Square
with 100,000 or so of our new friends to ring in the new year with the Fleur de
Lei drop on top of the JAX Brewery, followed
by a 12 minute fireworks show over the Mississippi River ! As all you darling friends and family of mine
know, I'm a huge sucker for fireworks, so this was clearly a highlight! How can this not be exciting???
We
eventually emerged from the 2013 madness to hit the sack that evening (but not
before wishing the West Coast a happy new year of their own). New Years Day had to be my favorite day of
the entire trip. And we didn't do much
more than wander around the Riverwalk and the French Quarter. But, on New Years Day, the jazz bands and
street performers were out in full force.
The town was alive and buzzing.
There's something to be said for walking down Royal
Street , and hearing the amazing sounds of true,
homegrown jazz music.
Magic. Another one of those "in my
element" moments, for sure. It was
also 80 degrees on New Years Day, making it very pleasant to walk around. Light cloud cover, plenty of sun breaking
through, and warm weather...jazz music, street performers doing flips over
groups of tourists...if this isn't winning at life, I'm not sure what is!
But the gods
are not always amused by one’s attempts to win the game of life. Bubba and I had played our cards too well, it
seems. So the old gods decided to toy
with us, just a little bit. The entire
day, as I mentioned, had been gorgeous and 80 degrees. A particularly delightful day after the cold
and wind we had put up with. But the
clouds had slowly been rolling in; rain was due in at some point that
night. As we got dressed for dinner, I
thought to myself “Q, you might want to think about grabbing the umbrella when
you go out to dinner…never know!” But,
alas, it had been a gorgeous day! Not a
drop of rain! We’d only be out a little
bit…we’ll be fine. The gods chuckled.
About half
way into our walk to dinner, the heavens opened up, and I heard “Q, you really
should have brought your umbrella with you tonight.” Naturally, I replied, “Nah, it’s gorgeous
out! Besides, we’re almost to dinner,
what’s the worst that can happen.” It is
not wise to tempt fate! One snort of
contempt later, and the deluge began!
Where I started the walk to dinner looking good and feeling overly
confident (not an entirely unusual scenario), by the time we had made it the
last 5 blocks or so to dinner on Bourbon Street ,
I looked like a drowned rat! The
raindrops fell fat and furiously (yes, fat, they were big ol' wet raindrops);
numerous in quantity, and true in their aim.
Never tempt
fate…when you have that premonition that maybe an umbrella would be wise, heed
the warning. Especially in the South
when it’s been 80 degrees and somewhat humid all day.
Dinner that
night was delicious…but since we had dined on a large lunch, we kept it
light. Red Fish Grill on Bourbon
Street has, for my money, the best gumbo in New
Orleans …their alligator sausage and seafood gumbo is
worth the trip alone. A bowl of that,
and a cup of one of the better Yellow Squash soups I’ve had, and we had
ourselves a meal! It paired nicely with
the Spicy and Stormy I had to drink (think dark and stormy, but with regular
spiced rum, and orange bitters, with the ginger beer).
Holed up in
the bar to watch the football game and have a few more drinks after dinner
(after a much less wet, but not entirely dry, walk back to the hotel). Then it was time to pack up for our journey
home.
As I
mentioned in the intro, Wednesday, January 2nd, I decided to test
something out. Both New
Orleans and Las Vegas
are gambling towns, you see…and my layover on my flight home just happened to be
in Las Vegas , the home of slot
machines in the terminals! I decided to
see which of the two towns was luckier.
That morning, after breakfast, I ran across the street and put a single
dollar into a slot machine at Harrah’s.
Bust. Damn. The flight to New
Orleans was uneventful (finished Season 2 of Game of
Thrones, and watched the movie Ted (yawn) on the journey). Got off the plane in Las
Vegas , found a slot machine to my liking, put in a
single dollar…BUST! DAMN! Are New Orleans
and Las Vegas just equally
unlucky? …or maybe I’m the unlucky
one! I dunno, between this and being the
very single last bag out of the plane in New Orleans …I’m
starting to get a bit of a complex.
“They call you lady luck, but there is room for doubt. At times you have a very un-lady-like way of running out.”
It was about
this time that the signature tones of Frank Sinatra graced my head with their
presence: “Luck let a gentleman see just
how nice a dame you can be. I know the
way you’ve treated other guys you’ve been with.
Luck be a lady tonight!” When I
got back to San Jose , my bag was
NOT the very last one off the plane this time!
Hey, looks like my luck is already turning around!
“A lady never leaves her escort. It isn’t fair. It isn’t nice. A lady doesn’t wander all over the room, and blow on some other guy’s dice!”
I will bring
this Q’s Adventures to a close by saying simply this…life is what you make of
it. You can sit around planning for the
future, worrying about everything that happens and never having any fun…or you
can grab life by the testicles, and drag it around with you on your epic
journeys. Or you can follow some middle
path. Over the last few years, I’ve been
far more in the latter camp than the former.
I’m nowhere near being able to buy a house, or provide for a family…but
I’ve had an incredible time having numerous adventures. It’s been, quite simply, the best time of my
life. I’ve grown, I’ve changed, I’ve
become bold and assertive, and I’ve taken charge of my life. I’ve been very fortunate in my life to have
been dealt some pretty good face cards.
What I do with them is entirely up to me. And when I get a 2-7 offsuit…well, a good
bluff never hurts, either!
Straight
Flush.





1 comment:
I did Court of Two Sisters when I was in NOLA in 2009 = great brunch. Glad you had a good time.
Post a Comment