December 28, 2010

Year in Review 2010: Top 10 Movies

This year I saw 12 movies. Most of them I saw in theatres, a few I saw when they were released on DVD, even though they were released this year. Here is a list of the top 10 of those movies, in order, starting with my favorite movie of the year (with their ratings out of 10...5 being average, 10 being phenomenal, etc.).

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (10/10)
This movie was, in a word, brilliant! I was irritated with the last Harry Potter movie in that they added stuff that wasn't in the book, while leaving out some important parts from the book. Book 7 is my favorite, and, at least for part 1, they did an amazing job. They cut out a lot of the boring "we're walking around in the woods" parts, showed all the important parts very well, and ended at a great spot. Cannot wait for Part 2 next year.

2. Inception (10/10)
People said this movie fucked with their minds. I seemed to follow it just fine, and found it to be a rather intriguing storyline and idea. And it was very well acted, of course. Leonardo DiCaprio has really come into his own as an actor. I don't want to give anything away, but I did come away from the movie saying "whoa, that was awesome!" It's definitely an interesting idea for a movie, and I think they pulled it off rather well!

3. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (9.5/10)
This movie is a very, very different movie. It's based off of a graphic novel. I kind of have to liken it to...if you made a movie to look like a cross between a video game and a graphic novel, but shot with real people and in the real world. I dunno, I just love the music in it (much of it from the Canadian indie rock scene), I love the idea of it, and it just hits home with me. I have a feeling this is the kind of movie you're either going to love or hate, though. For me, it's become one of my favorites!

4. The Fighter (9/10)
This is the story of "Irish" Micky Ward, a boxer who had an impressive run in the 90s after a rough beginning to his career. It looks at his family life, the issues surrounding him in his hometown, and the relationship between him and his brother. Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, and Amy Adams are all phenomenal in their roles in the film, and it is just a very interesting story. I would highly recommend it, as its probably still out in theatres right now!

5. Iron Man 2 (8/10)
This sequel to the wildly popular first film did not disappoint. I don't think it was as good as the first one...not quite. But Robert Downey Jr. was excellent in it again. And Scarlett Johansson looks smoking hot in her nice, tight leather outfit. Always a good thing. If you liked the first Iron Man, you should like the sequel as well!

6. Hot Tub Time Machine (8/10)
This movie was sneakily hilarious. I went into it not expecting much, but I ended up loving it. It was my favorite straight comedy of the year. John Cusak was funny in his role, and Chevy Chase's small roll was good. However, Rob Corddry and Craig Robinson steal this one, both really making this a comedy worth seeing. Also, the 80s music in it kind of rocks. And the Motley Crue is always worthwhile.

7. The Expendables (7.5/10)
This ensemble action movie is an action fan's dream. Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Terry Crews, Dolph Lundgren, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Randy Couture, and Mickey Rourke...along with cameos from Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger...make this an action movie to behold. The story line is generic. The plot is fine. But you aren't going to this movie to see that. You are going to see people die and shit blow up...and this movie delivers there in spades!

8. The A-Team (7/10)
This remake of the popular 1980s TV Show was recast and reset to present times (fugitives from the Iraq War, etc.). And they do it pretty well. Obviously, its not as campy or over the top as the TV Show...and those were what made the TV show awesome. But the movie is still fun, sets up the story of why they're wanted by the government pretty well, and is open to sequels. If you can separate this movie from the TV Show, you will enjoy it much more.

9. Kick Ass (6.5/10)
This is a surprisingly darker movie that I expected. It's about some regular people who decide to become super heroes. But its dark. Loads of people getting brutally beaten, a little girl proficient in killing bad guys, and kind of the seedy underbelly of society, and what can happen when people stand up to it (good and bad). I mean, shit, a dude gets burned alive on a live webcam feed. So, yeah, not really what I was expecting. But that's not a bad thing. It was actually a pretty good flick. Just wish I had known what I was getting into before watching it.

10. Alice in Wonderland (6/10)
For full disclosure, I love the story of Alice in Wonderland. It's so delightfully random. I'm pretty sure the dude who wrote it was high on opiates when he wrote it, which makes it all that much more wonderful. This movie is Tim Burton's take on it, and while it's somewhat random...I fear he made the storyline too linear. He took some of the randomness out of it. The end is just like a regular battle scene. And the mad hatter falls in love with Alice? Not right. But I still love the idea of Alice in Wonderland, and it had some good parts, and the visuals were pretty awesome. So it was a good flick...just left me wanting more.

She's Out of My League (which I liked) and Clash of the Titans (which I did not like) missed the list.

Top World Events of 2010 coming up tomorrow!

2 comments:

Julie said...

You liked Iron Man 2? I found it to be rather boring. Good ratings on the other ones that I've seen. I may have to netflix scott pilgram.

ZeroIndulgence said...

Scott Pilgrim is a very different movie. Jason and Crystal didn't like it. Sean grew into it, but I'm not sure liked it on the same level I did. But different interests me, and I loved the music.