December 22, 2010

The 10th Day of Patmas

On the 10th Day of Patmas, I give to you…10 likely places to find a White Christmas!

We all know the song, we all know how I feel about the song. However, if you are still hankering for a White Christmas, just like Bing Crosby used to know, well, I got you covered. Here are the 10 places where you would be very likely to see a White Christmas…should you so desire!

1. Caribou, Maine
According to the National Climatic Data Center, there's an amazing 97 percent chance of snow on the ground in Caribou come Christmas. In fact, there's a 57 percent chance there'll be 10 inches or more of the fluffy white stuff. Caribou, located 150 miles from Maine's Atlantic coast and 12 miles south of New Brunswick, Canada, receives about 110 inches of snow each year. It's a popular winter destination for snowmobilers and cross-country skiers.

2. Montpelier, Vermont
Vermont claims New England's snowiest capital city. There's a 93 percent chance you'll find at least one inch of snow here on Christmas day, and a 41 percent chance the snow will be at least 10 inches deep. Montpelier is also the smallest state capital in the nation, so you'll still feel like you're spending your White Christmas in a charming New England town, not a big city.

3. Valdez, Alaska
I almost didn’t put an Alaska town on the list, because, really, if you are going somewhere to see a White Christmas, you’d probably like to actually SEE the White Christmas…and it’s pretty dark in Alaska this time of year. But, there is literally a 100% Chance of seeing snow on the ground in Alaska on December 25th, so it’s a sure bet! Also, Valdez is the snow capital of the country, averaging nearly 300" of snow EVERY YEAR. That's amazing. You won't just have a White Christmas, you'll have a White year...every year...in mass quantities!

4. Fargo, North Dakota
Fargo has an 83% chance of having a White Christmas every year, so it’s a pretty safe bet. It also has a 100% chance of being boring as shit, so be prepared for snow on the ground, and really not much else!

5. Minneapolis, Minnesota
Minneapolis gets a lot of snow during the winter, but surprisingly only has a 73% chance of being a White Christmas. I think you’ll be pretty safe this year, though. If you remember a week or two ago, they got a huge blizzard that caved in the roof of the Metrodome stadium and caused the Vikings’ football game to be moved to Detroit. There’s a lot to do in Minneapolis, and I hear it’s a cool city to visit. It’s on my list…but I’ll probably wait until the summer!

6. Chicago, Illinois
Chicago only has a 40% chance of seeing a White Christmas, but this year is has been getting hammered, so the chances are probably higher! Of course, being as it’s the Windy City, you’re probably looking at wind chill factors colder than the ice on my heart…so yeah, pretty cold. However, Chicago is one of my favorite cities in the country, so I’d probably be willing to brave the wind and the snow to spend more time there!

7. Cleveland, OH
According to Drew Carry, Cleveland rocks! I would concur, to an extent. I enjoyed the time I spent there. I also enjoyed leaving. However, more to the point, Cleveland rocks if you want to see a White Christmas too, as it has a 60% chance of having one! On the banks of Lake Erie, Cleveland can get some lake effect snow. And it’s a cold, dreary place in the winter (it’s humid and dreary in the summer, huzzah!). But, you should see snow!

8. Green Bay, WI
The home of the fabled Ice Bowl is also the home of some of the snowiest football games in history. It is also home to some White Christmases…70% of the time. So for the sports fans out there who want a White Christmas with their football, Green Bay is the place for you!

9. Lake Tahoe, CA
Lake Tahoe is beautiful in the summer and in the winter. In the winter, it is pretty because of the contrast between the deep blue lake and the pristine white snow. It’s what makes it such a popular destination for skiers and snowboarders this time of year. Being in the mountains, it is one of the most likely places in all of California to have a White Christmas. Tired of your mild winter weather, coastal California? Head on up to Lake Tahoe for a White Christmas taste of your own!

10. Denver, CO
The Mile High City sees its fair share of snow throughout the year. Surprisingly, the city itself only has a 50% chance annually to see a White Christmas. However, in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, snow is never far away. Big city comforts in the mountains is guaranteed to get you some sort of White Christmas, without having to leave the comforts of civilization behind!


Personally, I will be spending Christmas in Pebble Beach, CA, where there will be a 0% chance of a White Christmas. However, there will be a 50% chance of a 65 degree sunny Christmas, and I like those odds just fine!

No comments: