April 03, 2009

Q's 2009 Baseball Predictions

I do this every year, and since the season starts on Monday, it's that time again. First, a disclaimer, I'm a total homer. I love the A's and will pick them constantly. But, other than that, I'll try to be pretty fair.

Away we go...

Division and Wild Card Winners:

AL West: Oakland (2nd: Anaheim, 3rd: Texas, 4th: Seattle)
AL Central: Cleveland (2nd: Minneasota, 3rd: Kansas City, 4th: Detroit, 5th: Chicago)
AL East: New York (2nd: Tampa Bay, 3rd: Boston, 4th: Toronto, 5th: Baltimore)
Wild Card: Tampa Bay

That coul be a fun playoffs. Tampa Bay and Oakland are young teams, New York is evil, and Cleveland could be fun too. Hmmmm...not bad. I also love keeping Boston out of the playoffs, so lets hope it turns out like this.

NL West: Los Angeles (2nd: Arizona, 3rd: San Francisco, 4th: Colorado, 5th: San Diego)
NL Central: Chicago (2nd: Cincinnati, 3rd: Milwaulkee, 4th: St. Louis, 5th: Houston, 6th: Pittsburgh)
NL East: New York (2nd: Philadelphia, 3rd: Florida, 4th: Atlanta, 5th: Washington)
Wild Card: Philadelphia

The NL East will be close. Any of the teams in my 1-4 spots could win the division or the wild card. But it will probably come down to New York and Philly again. Not bad. LA in the West should win now that Manny is back. He transforms that team. Chicago shouldn't be pressed in the Central, but Cincy could surprise.

Playoffs

Chicago def. New York
Los Angeles def. Philadelphia
New York def. Cleveland
Oakland def. Tampa Bay

Los Angeles def. Chicago
New York def. Oakland

Los Angeles def. New York...man, this could be totally awesome. And would be a media circus.

Season Awards:

AL MVP: Matt Holliday - OAK
NL MVP: Manny Ramirez - LAD
AL Cy Young: CC Sabathia - NYY
NL Cy Young: Ricky Nolasco - FLA
AL RoY: Brett Anderson - OAK
NL RoY: Cameron Maybin - FLA

And, I'll steal this disclaimer from Joe Posnanski: "All predictions wrong or your money back!"

2 comments:

Julie said...

I'm glad that you can place your hatred of Philly aside to realize how truly awesome we are.

ZeroIndulgence said...

We? What position do you play? :-P