April 27, 2009

MMR: On Weddings, Age, and the Sharks

Saturday (and, as it turns out, Sunday) I attended the wedding of two of my college friends, Steve and Kristina Fischer. It was pretty glorious times. This brought two things to my mind (before I got obliterated and nothing came to mind anymore) that I feel like expounding on today.

First, weddings are fun! Wait, I should rephrase, weddings of friends your age are fun! Like, I got to reconnect with some of my college friends. And I met some new people. And we all drank, and danced, and joked around, and just had a blast! I think I was the only single guy there in the entire group, but it didn't matter. We all hung out together and had a good time. And we got hammered. There was a cash bar, so drinking was expensive. But the boys had brought the left over alcohol from the bachelor party and stashed it in the room. So that was convenient. It was also convenient that this reception was in a hotel. More on that later. But man, friend weddings are fun. I had a blast at Tony's wedding a few years ago. I had a blast at Tom's wedding earlier that same year. Whenever you get a buncha people together that you know and have fun with, and then you include alcohol, well, fun times happen! I have plenty more friends who have yet to get married, so this will be good times...and hopefully it'll all be good marriage situations for them, too.

But this brought to my mind something else. I'm getting hella old. I'm 25. This is marrying age. Lots of my friends are either now married, or in long term relationships where the girl really wants to get married and the guy is resisting, for now. (Funny story, for the garter toss, no one in the group wanted to catch it, because they knew it would open up a can of worms with their girlfriends. So when steve tossed the garter, no one really made a play for it. At all. It hit the ground, and landed on the foot of Michelle's boyfriend, who then had to pick it up. Even better was that Michelle had caught the bouquet. Sorry Will, but you're doomed now... :-P) Anyways, back on point. I'm starting to feel a bit behind the curve. Like I might be "that guy" who's the last in all my circles of friends to get married. I'm not super close to that yet, but it could happen. But this is the issue, it's not just that I'm not in a great situation to meet girls...its more that, even though I see my friends around me getting married, or getting pressured to pop the question, I still have no desire to be married yet. So I don't know what I feel now. I mean, I'm not going to get married just because everyone else is, but if everyone else gets married, I'll have a hard time finding people to hang out with. Its an odd conundrum.

Then I got drunk, then I got drunker, then I got a hotel room and passed out! Yay!

Needless to say, it was an amazing wedding, and I wish Steve and Kristina nothing but the best. They're good people and they're good together. And their wedding was high class all the way!

Finally, and on a completely unrelated note, can the real San Jose Sharks please stand up? Like, you were awful in Game 1, mediocre but still lost in Game 2, pretty good and won in Game 3, abysmal in Game 4, and pretty awesome in Game 5. When you play like you want to win, you do. When you don't play like you want to win, you don't. There has yet to be a game this series where the Sharks showed up to play, put in an amazing effort, and still lost. They are the better team, and when they play like it, Anaheim has no chance. So, please, Sharks, STOP SUCKING!!! LET'S DO THIS SHIT AND BRING THE SERIES BACK TO SAN JOSE!

Q's Challenge: Week 9:

This week was an odd one for the challenge, as it was shaped by the end of a trip, the Sharks, and a wedding. So, lets go!

1. Took a half day on a Monday: Since we got in so late to Sacramento on Sunday, I crashed in Williams that night and then drove home the next morning. But this meant that I did not get into the office until lunchtime on Monday. However, this was pretty cool. Working half days is always nice. And taking the half day on the front end (Monday Morning) instead of the back end (Friday Afternoon) was definately different. I think I'd still rather take the halfer on Friday, though.
Grade: Decent. All half days are nice.

2. Sold tickets to a Sharks Playoff Game: I did this twice, and the first one was last week, but I didn't comment on it then. This time, I was in town, but didn't want to bail on my friends' wedding early for a hockey game. So I sold them to the roommate and his fiancee for face value. Game 1 tickets I sold to Christy for face value because I was on a plane to Philly during that game. But Game 5 was different, as I was here, in town, but still didn't go. I hate not going to Sharks game, and it kills me that I have yet to get to a Sharks playoff game this season. I have been waiting an entire year to get back to Sharks playoff games. And if the Sharks don't win tonight, I won't get to a single one. This would sadden me greatly, as it's the one major thing I've been looking forward to this year. But, shit happens, and in this case, selling the tickets was the right move.
Grade: Meh. It would be worse, but I had a great time at the wedding. Selling Sharks tickets, especially playoff tickets, is never fun.

3. Got a Hotel Room at a Wedding: So, I mean, most of the time I go to a reception, and then I go home. This time, though, I got shitfaced, and there was no way I was driving home. The reception was at the Hilton in Pleasanton, so I just wandered down to the front desk and got myself a room for the night when it became evident I was not going home that night. And this was a good choice. It was really nice to be able to just have fun, not worry about the time or how many drinks I'd had. And, then, it also meant I got to have breakfast the next morning with the bride and groom before they left for the airport and their honeymoon! So, all in all, it was good times!
Grade: Glorious. I think the write-up speaks for itself!

Week 10 of 52 upcoming. I'm surprised I'm still doing this after 10 weeks! It's been ok, but I need to start branching out a bit in some of my things here soon. We'll see what the week holds!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

smart choice on the hotel room. Also- we are the smart ones not getting married- the bitches come to us

Dr. Brill