St. Me Day is an underappreciated holiday. One place it is always remembered very heartily, though, is the college campus. This year, it will give students an excuse to drink on a Tuesday night, and to be hungover at classes on a Wednesday. I am proud that my name can assist in this venture.
However, this stereotype of the Irish being heavy drinkers does tend to offend me a little. We all aren't sloppy drunks. As a matter of fact, Ireland was once host to the world's finest scientists...
Damn that whiskey. Nevertheless, Ireland has been home to some amazing people:
~Pierce Brosnan (Bond, James Bond)
~Liam Neeson
~Colin Farrell (sorry for that one...)
~Daniel Day-Lewis (born in the UK, but became an Irish citizenm and is amazing, so we're claiming him)
~Richard Harris (dude, he was the priest in The Count of Monte Cristo...oh, and Dumbledore before he died)
~Paul Hewson (um, that's Bono...)
~Robery Boyle (scientist who came up with Boyle's law...about gasses and such)
~Padraig Harrington (he won two majors in golf last year...beasty!)
~Henry Hill (he was born here, but his Irish heritage was of note in the movie Goodfellas, as it meant he could never be a made man)
See, Ireland is amazing. Among other important Irish stats:
Ireland has totalled 23 total medals in Olympic history. 8 of them have been golds. Yes, that means Michael Phelps, in the last Olympics, got as many gold medals as Ireland has won IN HISTORY. OK, so maybe if golf or cricket were olympic sports we'd be better! Jackholes!
Ireland's capital is Dublin. There is also a city in California named Dublin, but I don't think the Irish own them.
The coldest it's ever been in Ireland is -2 degrees F. That's cold enough to kill potatoes...oh, wait.
Vikings lived in Ireland. That is cool, because norse culture is one I am rather fascinated with. I actually have a norse symbol tattooed on my body. Yeah, that's right, I'm hardcore.
The national airline of Ireland is Aer Lingus. Is it just me, or does that sound a little dirty? I think I might need to fly Aer Lingus at some point to see what its all about!
Finally, I'd like to point your attention to the history of St. Me Day I wrote up last year: http://zeroindulgence.blogspot.com/2008/03/mmr-wear-green-drink-beer-and-celebrate.html. It is important for people to know the history behind the holidays they are celebrating.
Oh, and I'd like to declare that the official movie of St. Me Day is The Boondock Saints. So, be sure to watch it.
I guess that's it. Tip one back for me this year, since Tuesday is a work night. And remember, if it wasn't for the Irish, life wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.
No comments:
Post a Comment