So, I wanted to discuss something near and dear to my heart today. This is something that bugs me to no end. No, it doesn't bug me as much as liberals do...but its close. I'm talking, of course, of political correctness...or, more specifically, the tendency of people to beat around the bush and not actually say what they mean.
It's absurd. No one will ever give a straight answer these days. There's always an alterior motive. A guy calls a girl, and he clearly is looking for a booty call, but disguises it as "lets watch a movie." And then it's hella awkward because they both just want to fuck, but no one wants to make the first move or broach the subject. A girl goes out on a date, and at the end of the night she knows she doesn't want to see him again, but she still tells him she had a great time and gives him a kiss. Absurd! Just be honest!
Let's take an example a friend of mine was talking to me about the other day. This person's friend clearly wanted my friend to cover for them at work that night, but wouldn't ask. They'd make statements like "man, I really need to get my shift covered tonight," but couldn't just come out and ask it. It's like WTF? Just ask. Then you'll get a yes or a no, but at least you got to the damn point and didn't waste people's time!
Another friend of mine went out on a date recently, and at the end of the date, the girl said she had a wonderful time, and they kissed, and he left. And then she wouldn't pick up the phone or return his messages. Why would you kiss someone and tell them you had a wonderful time if you didn't intend on seeing them again? That seems pretty outlandish. My friend eventually got an e-mail response from her saying she had an amazing time but didn't feel the chemistry (man, I've been there before), which is another absurd cop out. Just tell it like it is people.
Where does this all stem from? Well, most of it has to do with feelings and people being absurdly sensitive these days. Everything is a slight against you. Denver QB Jay Cutler is discussed in a potential trade, and all of a sudden he's so hurt he can't talk to his front office. The damage to their relationship is irreparable. Grow the fuck up. Football is a business. People do not want to get their feelings hurt, and people do not want to be seen as the ones hurting someone's feelings. But, you tell me what is worse, telling a guy that you don't want to see him again, or telling him you had a great time but then not returning his calls and finally breaking it off over e-mail?
Wait, that's it! People have no problem hurting other people's feelings, as long as they don't have to be there in person while it happens. We are such a shallow people. We don't want to have to deal with the consequences of our truths. So we use intermediaries to soften the blows to ourselves.
Ugh, what a world we live in. I wonder what it would be like if people were more open and more thick skinned. If people wouldn't be afraid to walk up to a girl and ask her out, and likewise wouldn't be hurt when she said "sorry, I don't date fat guys." It would certainly be a more efficient way to live...
Q's Challenge Update:
Last week, Monday through Sunday, I did get my three new things accomplished. They weren't particularly big and earthshattering things, but they were new nonetheless. Baby steps, right?
1. I watched a new TV show that my parents like. Bones. It was on FOX on Tuesday when I was home visiting, and instead of leaving to come home and watch a movie, I stuck around and gave it a shot. And it wasn't terrible! I might watch it again, but I probably won't add it to my weekly lineup.
Grade: Decent
2. I donated money to a worthy cause. I've donated money to political campaigns before, but never to disease research. And, you know, it was pretty much everything I thought it would be. I couldn't afford much, but I figured a little bit to help study brain tumors couldn't hurt. I don't even like talking about it, but it was something new, and I said I'd report back.
Grade: Glorious
3. I bought a new monitor for my computer. Here's the thinking...I always just used whatever monitor was lying around, and dealt with it. Even after I spent all this money on a new computer with an amazing graphics card, I was still using a shitty old Dell monitor. Not anymore. I wanted to get full use out of my graphics card, so I bought a big HD monitor. Usually buying something new won't qualify for this challenge, but I've never been this big of a nerd before, and I figured it was worth mentioning.
Grade: N/A - I don't need another monitor, so glorious doesn't really qualify...although it is an amazing monitor.
That's all for now. Another week is here, so its time to find more new things to do.
1 comment:
I've slowly been trying to be more honest about saying stuff I feel. I have a harder time though when I know the person and care if their feelings get hurt. It's far easier for me to tell a guy asking for my number that there's no point cause I'm not interested than it is for me to turn down a friend of a friend who thought I was cute. But I think you're right about people being ok hurting you so long as they don't have to witness it. I love the text message turn down vs the in person one. I'm a bad person :-/
Post a Comment