"proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern"
"Having no specific pattern, purpose, or objective"
Dictionary.com is pretty useful.
Anyways, randomness. It makes life more fun. When random things happen, it snaps us outta our dull, routine filled lives and slaps us in the face. Says WAKE UP AND PAY ATTENTION! This is why I love randomness. Randomness is the unexpected joke that goes so far over the line that you can't help but fall over laughing. Randomness is a bird falling through your windshield on the road, out of the blue. Randomness is deciding at midnight that you wanna go to Disneyland, and then hopping in the car at 2am and driving 8 hrs to do so.
Randomness, in this case, can be boiled down to indulging in your whims. Everyone has whims. The thought that creeps through your head "man, i really wish i was in hawaii right now" or "wow, I'd really like to see so and so right now even though I'm not sure they like me or not." or "i'd really like some ice cream right now."
Some whims are small, and indulged in frequently. I mean, who can say no to ice cream when it's right in front of you (except Smiles, who only eats leaves! :-P). Some have some lasting consequences, good or bad, like asking someone out you've wanted to for a while. And some are less doable, like going to Hawaii on a moments notice. However, indulging in some of your whims will make for a more interesting life experience.
I usually indulge in my travel whims. I think i duscussed this the other day. I decide I wanna go somewhere, and I immediately make plans to do so. Consequences be damned, if I wanna go somewhere, I'll fucking go there! It gets expensive, and so far I've been good about limiting myself to trips I can afford. But, man, it makes for some good stories and good pictures!
I think everyone should take some time out of their day to indulge in some of their whims. If you're working, and all of a sudden have an urge to stand up, walk out, and go hit a bucket of balls, go do it! If you are sitting at home alone, and feel like calling up someone you think likes you to come join you and make your evening more enjoyable, do it! If you've been working out and getting in shape, but really wanna eat that ice cream in front of you, then do it!
I think people today get too locked into routines and sociatal rules. You're supposed to go to work, and not leave until the work day is over. You're supposed to play certain games to make people feel a certain way about you. You have to eat right and exercise, and never actually eat anything delicious. You can't go to the beach, you have homework to do. Don't spend money on Sharks tickets, save for a house instead. Then save for a family. Then work to support the family and their house and their hobbies. No, don't take time for the present, it's always about the future.
And I say, ENOUGH!
More people should take time to enjoy the present. Now, I will admit that I do this a wee bit too much. I don't always indulge in all my whims, but I do act with an eye to the present rather than the future. Some people may think I'm screwing myself over for the future, and maybe I am. But what's wrong with making sure I enjoy life right now. As cynical as it sounds, we have no idea how long we'll be here. If you're always planning for the future, it'll do no good if you go in a week or a month or a year. I just wanna make sure I enjoy myself before I eventually get into the rut of having a real life. I mean, I think it'll be a new great adventure, having a family someday, but not right now. I don't even wanna plan for it. I wanna go cool places and do cool things.
Wow, this became a really preachy rant. Man, this musta been bugging me lately. I haven't had a good rant like this in a while. I think I'm feeling stuck in a rut. Which is ridiculous, because I've been doing random things (I went to Vegas, I've had a few Sharks games, etc.). But man, it just feels like the same shit every day. Work, work out, eat, sleep, do over. Weekends are spent hanging out with the couple, when I'm lucky. My apartment is rather quiet these days. I need something to come in and shake my life up pretty good. Just something new and exciting.
Or maybe I just need to realign my ideas of what my life really is and should be about.
Nah! I'm pretty great. I just need to rediscover my greatness and do something (like go to Grand Canyon!).
OK, I'm out.
2 comments:
Dude, MONKEY WITH A HAT!!!! Make it happen. If anyone could, you could.
For the record, I eat more then leaves :-p. Anyhow, lets make a point of getting out and being more random on the weekends. For that matter, lets make a point of being more random on week nights too. You're absolutely right about living in the present. I personally believe in more of a balanced approach, but sometimes I lose sight of the present by focusing too intently on the future; maybe we can learn something from each other. Let's hit the beach one night this week!
Post a Comment