October 23, 2008

The 200th Blog Post Spectacular

Ladies and gentlemen, today is a very special day. A day, perhaps, that will be remembered in the annals of blogging history. A day I never realized was going to come until I had a bug up my ass to count how many blogs I'd written over the years. Yes, that's right, today, right now, you are reading the 200TH POST OF MY BLOGGING CAREER!!!!!!!

When I started this blog back in 2004, it was in response to my extended AIM profile's website malfunctioning for a week. The extended profile had a blog on it, and I used it to rant. It had other features too, but it was the ranting I missed when the site eventually went down. When looking for an alternative, I came across this lovely site, and, well, the rest is history.

Let's look back on that famous first post, all those years ago on November 3, 2004, to get a good feel for how all of this started. I present to you, the timeless, "Hey Everyone!":

Alright, This first post is just a welcome to my blog. I'm using this
because my damn MBI Profile site has been down for like two weeks, and I need
a place to rant. So, here it is. My rants, and other stuff. So, enjoy reading...post your replys...and don't be afraid to argue with my viewpoints (just remember if you disagree, you are wrong :-P ).

Oh, and on a separate note...please put ur name down when u post. I wanna know who is looking at this and commenting on what I have to say. Thanks.


Classic, invigorating stuff (note the "u" and the "ur" instead of using real words. I was pretty with it in those days. The epitome of cool). With an introductory post like that, you knew this blog was going places. And boy did it ever.

Over the past 4 years (well, 4 years this coming election day eve), this blog has seen numerous posts detailing my own harrowing journey through the human psyche and trying to figure out what makes us click. It has seen a good ol Republican political rant or two, and even led to a spin off blog that I rarely use, The Rational Republican. It has seen works of fiction, and works of fact. I've railed against both my friends and my enemies, societal norms and the wackos out there. I've written about it all. And when I was bored, I'd recap my weekend.

2004 started off slow, with 10 posts, most of them in November. However, When 2005 hit, I hit the ground running with a whole one post in January, and another 3 in February. These posts we're mostly of the "pointless" genre, and really didn't go anywhere. Those kinds of posts made their way into this blog more than I would have liked, but it's hard coming up with fresh, new material every single week. But I caught my stride mid year, and ended up with 48 blog posts on the year. The most noteworthy of them we're probably the August posts, where I took an introspective look at myself, and wondered what the hell the world was thinking: "The Nice Guy," "The Myth of the Game," and "Be Yourself." Inspriational, deep, a true understanding of the human mind. Also, most of these are incredibly wrong. But, at least I was trying.

2006 saw more of the same, with one key deviation, the post about the death of my brother. Chris Piccardo passed away in March 2006, and I wrote a post for him where I tried to remain strong in the face of what was the hardest thing I've ever gone through. Some of the posts the rest of the year contained personal rantings of me trying to get through this ordeal; and while I'm still not completely past it, and I probably never will be, this blog has helped quite a bit.

2007 was a down year for the blog, with only 22 posts, and then we got to 2008, where I started posting weekly rants, and many times even 2-3 posts a week! This post is the 72nd of the year, which is pretty incredible.

Continuing on, I'd like to give a sampling of what readers of this blog have said about their experiences here (all quotes paraphrased...unless they aren't real, which some of them may or may not be...just sayin'):

I'll start with Professor James Brill: "When I'm weary, feeling small,/ When tears are in my eyes, this blog will dry them all;/ this blog is on my side. when times get rough,/ And friends just cant be found,/ Like a bridge over troubled water/ this blog will lay me down./ Like a bridge over troubled water/ this blog will lay me down." Touching stuff. Really touching. As a writer, it's really nice to know your writing has an effect on the audience.

Anonymous writes: "this is beautifully written. thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us." Clearly they missed the ground breaking first post where I asked people to include their names, but it's a touching tribute to my work nonetheless!

Julie commented "I like having your blog to read while I'm in class, it helps time go by faster." Thank you Julie, and I liked writing back when I was in college, because it helped me avoid writing essays and, you know, graduating on time. Excellent!

"It was an honor and a privledge to be quoted by this esteemed blog in your post of August 6, 2005. If I can help even one person cope with living with cancer, even for a little bit, then I feel like my life has been worth living. Thank you, Patrick, for getting my word out to yet another unique audience." ~Lance Armstrong. Lance, you are my hero.

"Who the fuck is Patrick Quinn, and why should I care what he thinks or writes?" ~Barack Obama. Because I'm motherfucking Q, that's why! I can't believe you are going to be President. Disgusting.

"Thank you for your continued support. You may be the only person in this country who still believes in me." ~President George W. Bush. Keep your chin up Mr. President. History will redeem you.

Smiles chimed in with "for the record, i eat more then leaves!" I'll let the grammar slide (than) and just say thank you for the clarification. You also eat chili. But that's about it. :-P

He also chimed in with "you left me wanting to read more...you should bust into the journalism biz and worm into sports. you'd be good at it." I must say, I'm flattered by the imagery of me worming my way into something. At least it captures my more slimy tendencies! If anyone out there reading this is a newspaper guy and wants my thoughts on anything (but particularly sports and/or politics) I'm readily availiable! LOL! The Wall Street Journal presents "Q's Afternoon Delight". It's got a nice ring to it!

"Your friend was lucky." ~Chuck Norris. Yes sir, I know. I've been trying to teach him respect. (for those of you who don't follow why Mr. Norris is commenting on my blog, please refer to "MMR: Shanked" from May of 2008.)

"Patrick, you truely are a great fan. Thank you for your support for me getting into the Hall of Fame. Hopefully someday baseball will have the clarity and generosity that you have shown me." ~Pete Rose. I hope so too, Pete.

And, finally, I'd like to give my sometimes co-writer a chance to share his thoughts on what it means to write for this blog. Take it away, Chaz!

I’ve been party to several amazing events in my short lifetime to date. I’ve guarded the former head of the Soviet Union in Gorbachev, powerlifted with world champions Andrew “Bull” Stewart and Emmanuel Montgomery, dined with Rocky Patel, was given a twenty thousand dollar box of cigars reserved for royalty from Kaiser Hansotia, owner of Gurkha Cigars, conquered Norway, and bedded Miss October 2009 for the Hooters Calendar. These paltry accomplishments pale in comparison to being able to have my words and thoughts accompany the two hundredth post of a great orator and friend, Q.

I met Q years ago, an aspiring political studies student and one of the few keepers in the last bastion of Republican hope in Davis. Together with such minds as Sir Thomas of Gerhart, Jimmy “the Body” Brill, and Kent, we forged a lasting friendship that I hold dear to my heart. Much akin to the greatness of Rocky Balboa in his single handed conquering of communism with the defeat of Ivan Drago, this amazing conglomerate held steadfast in the face of waffles and helped to push GW Bush into his second term of office.

In more recent times, Q has provided me with insight on several topics and many an intriguing discussion has spurned over an intense game of putt putt, often times with either me sinking the free game putt, or Q convincing the gal behind the window to not only hand her phone number over, but a free game card as well.

All of these are mere samples of the greatness of the author you all continually visit and allow to indulge your curiosities with his witty diatribes. I consider myself lucky to have been part of several of his pieces ranging from our near death experience on the walk to the Michael Buble concert to my role in the conquering of Norway. I’ve assisted in the composition of some crucial pieces such as his intense blog on Lethargy, and even been credited with the honor of guest author when he chose to share my political piece on the proposition of the Chucktatorship with his readership.

With all of that being said, I am honored to be part of such a momentous occasion. Two hundred well thought and deeply manifested blogs is an accomplishment few on this earth will ever receive. I put it up there with the golf skill of Woods, the neverending stomach of Chestnut, and the supreme Cougarness of Sarah Palin.

Humbly,



L. Alexander Gerhart

Thank you Chaz. Your words are more beautiful than sweet love between Natalie Portman and Penny Flame. The Afternoon Delight is honored and privileged to have your silver tongue on it’s “payroll.” Looking towards the future, I expect monster things from this blog. Huge changes, corporate backing, and maybe national syndication of my thoughts and whims. This blog is going places, people. Be glad you are in on the ground floor!

In conclusion, I'd just like to say that this blog has been a joy to write, and the feedback I get from people in the comments sections bring warm and fuzzy feelings to my heart. It's a tough job, bitching about stuff in a public forum all the time, but you readers make it worth it. It's also been a hard life, doing so much cool shit that it's worth writing down for mass consumption. But, again, these are the sacrifices I am willing to make for you. Not everything has been a happy read. Early on this blog was used more to deal with my confusion and irritation with the world around me, and my own personal limitations. And sometimes, a man just needs to rant. And while I still use this blog to that end on occasion, I've moved on to writing more for amusement than anything else, and it's been a nice change, dontcha think? Thank you to all who make this blog worth writing. Without an audience, I'd be just talking to myself, and, well, I do enough of that already!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well stated sir, and congratulations on your accomplishment. Your wit and incite provide a refreshing distraction. Keep up the good work! :-p