September 11, 2012

Tuesday Morning Q: A Weekly Personal Update


So, I think I’m going to start posting a weekly update blog of everything of note going on in my life.  These will be catch-all posts…hitting very briefly on numerous topics.  Or very few topics if I’ve had a boring week!  This week, I’ll give more of a general update, since I haven’t done one of these in a little while.

Softball:  I’m currently playing in three softball leagues a week…Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  However, this week will most likely be my last Wednesday game.  I’m going to cut back to two softball games a week, and I just enjoy the Monday and Friday teams more.  We have jerseys for the Friday team now…Down and Dirty!  Got mine last night at the Monday game (manager of Friday league plays on the Monday team as well)…and it looks pretty sick.  Looking forward to putting it to use on Friday.  Last night I finally hit my first home run since I started playing softball out at Twin Creeks.  Even better…it was a Grand Slam that gave us a big lead.  Sadly, we ended up losing in the end…but it was nice to get the first jack out of the way!  I had been pretty close to getting it out in recent weeks.  And I cleared the fence by quite a bit…it was a monster shot into the parking lot.  Felt pretty darned good.

Half Marathon Training:  This week is my third week of my twelve week half marathon training schedule.  Already, I’m feeling pretty awesome.  My schedule consists of a long run on Sunday (only up to 6.5 miles right now…7.1 this coming Sunday…but it’ll keep ramping up), an easy 3.5 mile recovery run on Monday, alternating Tempo run and Interval Workout runs on Tuesdays, middle distance running on Wednesday (4 miles for a few weeks…then up to 5.25…and even 6.5 one week).  Thursday will usually be some sort of cross training (bike ride, Plyometrics, etc.).  Friday will be another middling run at race pace (a faster 4 miles, usually).  Saturday is for rest, and Sunday is the long run again.  So, yeah, lots of running.  But, as I said, I’m feeling awesome on my runs so far.  The 6.5 miles I just did on Sunday felt like nothing.  Couldda gone another few miles, easily.  I’ll get a chance to get up there in distance very quickly…but so far so good!  Half Marathon is Sunday November 18th in Monterey…the weekend before Thanksgiving!

Weight Training:  On top of all the running, I’ve continued my weight training and muscle building regimen.  I’m doing a 4 days a week program that has me focus on one muscle group per day (plus back and abs each day):  Monday for chest, Tuesday for Biceps, Thursday for Shoulders, Friday for Triceps.  I’ve been doing this particular regimen for a little over a month now, and I’ve seen awesome results.  And, of course, I love it.  So that’s been really enjoyable!  Hopefully the 5 days a week of running plus 4 days a week of weight training won’t kill me.  But I’m kind of insane, so I suspect I’ll be fine!

Sean’s Wedding:  Sean and Christen tied the knot this past weekend!  Hooray!  They got married at the Monarch Cove Inn in Capitola on Saturday…and my oh my, we dialed up some phenomenal weather!  I looked awesome in my sweet fitted tux.  Hopefully I’ll get my hands on some of the official pictures at some point…we were a rather studly group!  The wedding was very pretty, and the reception was legit fun.  Lots of friends there, which always makes for a great time.  The night before the wedding, we took Sean out for one last night out…and, yeah, alcohol was imbibed in mass quantities…I was pretty wasted.  And pretty hung over Saturday Morning.  So, yeah, Friday Night was pretty awesome!  Saturday morning before the wedding we went downtown, wandered through the Art and Wine Festival a bit, and played some epic beach volleyball!  Really enjoyed that!  All in all, it was an awesome weekend…and a quality way to celebrate the marriage of one of my best friends to a pretty awesome girl.  Congrats Sean and Christen!

Oakland A’s:  The A’s have been winning!  And winning!  And winning!  Been thoroughly enjoying this run they’re on!  Hopefully they keep it up.  Would love to get out to an Oakland A’s playoff game!  Still plenty of games to go, but they’re still in pretty good shape!  Gotta keep winning!  Check out the blog I wrote on them recently HERE.

San Francisco 49ers:  The NFL is back, and I love it!  The Niners got a huge win in week one, thoroughly dismantling the Green Bay Packers…in Green Bay!  Awesome!  I wrote a little about Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers HERE.  So if you missed it, check it out!  Niners have a super tough schedule this year…but if week one was any indication, they appear to be up to the task!  They were so close to the Super Bowl last year…and I’m really looking forward to seeing if they can take that next step this year!  Go Niners!

Yosemite:  I’m going to Yosemite for my birthday.  If you would like to come as well, let me know!  It’ll be the first weekend of October.  I’ll put together something more formal in the coming days.

Mountain Biking:  My dad and I have been going mountain biking some lately.  I’m really enjoying it!  I’m not particularly strong yet, but I keep plugging away on those mountains!  It’ll only make me stronger.  Once I’m done with my half marathon, I think training for a triathlon will be the next challenge!  Will have to keep strengthening my legs.

That’s it for this week!  We’ll see if I keep up with this, or if this is more of a monthly thing.  Not sure I have much fun on the docket coming up…but I’m always keeping busy!

Hope all is well with all of you as well!

No comments: