September 20, 2012

The Tao of Pat


I’ve been asked a few questions about my personality throughout my most recent years.  First, I get asked why I am so rarely angry over things (you know, outside of my sports-rage, which falls outside the normal realm of existence).  I get asked why I can be so quiet at times.  I get asked where I find the will power to stick with the things I put my mind to (i.e. the weight loss).  The answers to all of these questions can be found in one text…the Tao Te Ching.

A while back, I was looking for something.  Religion had never held sway over me.  Something about a bunch of people congregating, going through various motions, being told how to act, how to pray, how to worship…oh, and please donate…it just never spoke to me.   I started looking into other spiritual philosophies, and the old Eastern Philosophies of Taoism, Buddhism, and Confucianism really spoke to me.  And one in particular, Taoism, seemed to rise above the rest.

Taoism is a path of behavior centered around The Way.  The Tao (or Way) is both the source and the driving force behind everything that exists.  Taoism generally tends to emphasize wu-wei (action through non-action), "naturalness", simplicity, spontaneity, and the Three Treasures: compassion, moderation, and humility.  Taoism seeks to describe the harmonious way to relate to oneself, others, nature, and the universe.  The main text of Taoism is the Tao Te Ching, attributed to Lao-Tzu, is a series of verses, poems, and riddles.  It emphasizes control but not dominance, fluidity but not ambivalence, and mystery but not confusion.

I believe the best part of the Tao Te Ching is that it is so ambivalent.  It just presents these teachings of the Way, and lets the reader decide how they are to be interpreted.  A few passages in the Tao Te Ching really stick out to me…and are passages I remember in my life, and passages I try to follow.

First, there is a simple line that I’m sure you’ve all heard before in some form or another.  It discusses the need for talk, and for not needing to talk:
“Those who know do not talk.
Those who talk do not know.”
I’m sure we’ve all met people in our lives who spew tons of BS wherever they go…constantly striving to prove to everyone around them that they are smart and should be paid attention to.  And, usually, we roll our eyes at them and move on.  So this is a passage that is very much a part of all our lives.  Why am I being quiet many times?  Because I don’t feel the need to always be talking. 

Next, there is one chapter, chapter 48, that really speaks to what the Tao is all about:
“Mastery of the world is achieved
by letting things take their natural course.
If you interfere with the way of Nature,
you can never master the world.”
Now, the one fallacy believed about the Tao Te Ching is that it preaches inactivity and inaction.  This is not necessarily true.  Taoist philosophy proposes that the universe works harmoniously according to its own ways.  When someone exerts their will against the world, they disrupt that harmony.  Taoism does not identify one's will as the root problem.  Rather, it asserts that one must place their will in harmony with the natural universe.  Thus, a potentially harmful interference is to be avoided, and in this way, goals can be achieved effortlessly.

I believe, at least, that the Tao asks us to let the universe unfold before us…to not try and interfere with it, just live our lives and react accordingly.  This chapter is behind why I tend to let everything just roll off my back…and why I do not get so worked up over things.  The world will do what it does.  The only things I can really control are my own life, and my own reaction to the world around me.  I suspect the wu-wei discussed in the Tao Te Ching speaks more to effortless action.  Always being prepared to act to what happens around you, but not feeling the need to always insert yourself into the action.  Instead, find a harmony with the world around you.

Finally, chapter 33 of the Tao Te Ching is probably my favorite passage ever written:
“Knowing others is wisdom;
Knowing the self is enlightenment.
Mastering others requires force;
Mastering the self needs strength.
He who knows he has enough is rich.
Perseverance is a sign of willpower.
He who stays where he is endures.
To die but not to perish is to be eternally present.”
The ability to both know yourself and others…the ability to master one’s self and show will power through perseverance…being satisfied with what you have…these are amazing ideas.  I’ve always thought of myself as someone who is both very observant of those around me, but also very introspective about who I am.  I’ve shown, time and time again, the will power and perseverance to master myself.  This passage right here explains, quite succinctly, how I view life.  Gain a knowledge of others, know yourself, worry only about mastering yourself, perseverance and will power…achieve these things, and you will be happy with what you have…you will be rich.  I’m not saying I’m perfect, or that I always, perfectly, am able to follow the Tao…but it seems like an amazing ideal to strive for!

In the end, everyone is looking for guidance in their lives.  Most people turn to some sort of religion to give them that direction.  In my life, pretty much everyone around me has turned to some sect of Christianity.  And that’s fine.  For me, I’ve turned to The Tao…and its made me the person I am today.

1 comment:

Dustin said...

Remind me to lend you a book I have... it'll give you an interesting semi-Taoist perspective on things. Sure there's a catch, but don't let that bother you. ;-)