The San
Francisco 49ers are awesome. Seriously,
they are playing pretty decent football right now…fairly easily dispatching two
teams that were in the playoffs last year…and one of whom was widely regarded
as the best team in football this year.
Well, until now. After their
impressive 2-0 start (a 2-0 start where both games were really never in doubt,
but the Niners still didn’t play all that well), the Niners are now being
regarded as the best team in the NFL…and, possibly, the Super Bowl favorites?
I’m not sure
how I feel about this.
Listen, I
love that the 49ers are awesome. I love
that it looks like we have an elite team.
I love what Harbaugh’s been able to do here in San Francisco since being
hired. I love that we made it to the NFC
Championship game last year and I love that the Niners could possibly get that
elusive 6th ring this year, assuming they stay healthy, keep playing
up to their potential, and continue to improve under Harbaugh. But, I have to say, my experience as a fan
seems to change once there are expectations about winning around your team.
Last season
was amazing. Even when they started 6-1,
7-1, 8-1…I expected every game to be a loss.
So every game we won was like hitting the lottery! After a decade of ineptitude and
incompetence, the 49ers went 13-3, won a playoff game, and came up agonizingly
short of making it to the Super Bowl. It
was incredible! Nothing but joy. The first game I had any real expectations
for last year was…yup…the NFC Championship Game. I finally expected the 49ers to win a big
game. They were the better team than the
Giants, they were the home team, and they were heading to the Super Bowl! Until they didn’t win…and I was crushed. And that’s the point of all of this…once you
have an expectation of success…wins are nerve-racking and losses are soul
crushing.
Like last
year’s Niners, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this year’s Oakland A’s team. They came into the season looking like a team
that would lose 100 games and challenge for the #1 overall pick in the
draft. And here we are, 16 games left in
the season, with a 4.5 game lead in the Wild Card and only 3 games back in the
division. Unreal. Its been so awesome because its been so
unexpected. There were no expectations,
so every win has been hilariously awesome and fun! Recently, I’ve been starting to expect the A’s
to win. I have been getting my hopes up
about their chances of catching Texas for the division. Losses have started to sting a little
bit. We’re still playing with house
money this year…but I want more! I want
the ultimate success for my favorite baseball team!
Multiply
that by 1,000 for this year’s Niners.
Last night I
was watching the 49ers game against the Lions.
Basically, the Lions had no answers for the Niners. At all.
They couldn’t run it, they couldn’t pass it. Before their late, garbage time TD, they had
4 FGs…one from a phantom PI call by the ridiculously inept replacement refs,
and one off a Kendall Hunter fumble on the ensuing kickoff return. Two gifted FGs, and two actual FGs. And yet, the whole game, I’d get upset when
the Niners would give up a first down. I
have those kinds of expectations. The
Niners led the whole game…but until they finally won, I was on edge. And when the clock hit zero, I felt relief
first, joy second. Expectations are a
brutal thing.
So, that
begs the question. What’s the best fan
experience you can have? Is it cheering
for the overachieving underdog? Is it
cheering for the perennial contender? I
think I’d die as a Yankees fan, since they come into every single season
expecting to win the World Series. I
wouldn’t be able to enjoy a single game!
On the other side, though, I want the Niners to dominate! I want them to win every game, roll through
the league, be considered the best team in the league and to see them back it
up! I want them to win the Super
Bowl! I’d be highly disappointed if they
just squeeked into the playoffs and became an underdog again at this
point. They’re far too good for that.
I guess, in
the end, this is the enjoyable aspect of being a fan of a team…the payoff after
years of toiling in mediocrity (or worse).
Last season was the Christmas Present…an amazing surprise that you love
and just makes your entire year! This
season the Niners are looking awesome…pushing the Christmas Present we want
this year back to February. It makes for
a slightly less carefree regular season for me as a fan…but the payoff would be
the ultimate joy.
Such is the
life of a fan!
Go Niners…and
Go A’s! Bring it home!
1 comment:
The Yankees and their fans (like me!) obviously have 27 laurels to rest on, including one 3 seasons ago, so it's not quite as bad as it seems when they don't make it out of the first or second round (even if the management thinks so). I say that without gloating. They're not favorites to win this year, and that doesn't stress me out. The objective baseball fan in me is a little glad that money doesn't automatically buy championships... even if it obviously helps.
Post a Comment