So one of the things I have disliked having to do since becoming an adult has been grocery shopping. I don't dislike having to spend money on food or anything like that. And I love figuring out what I want to eat every day. I also love to cook (and am pretty good at it), so being able to pick out what I need to make my creations (I have half of on shelf devoted to spices and herbs...so yeah, leads to some interesting things).
No, what I don't like is having to actually go to the grocery store. Wait, let me rephrase...I don't like BEING at the grocery store. The grocery store is filled with everything that I ever find irritating: slow people, stupid people, undisciplined rowdy kids, old people driving, and slow lines. I just want to get in, get my food, and get out. But that's never the case.
Today was a prime example of all of this.
First, I go to the Safeway near my house, out on Winchester. I find a decent parking spot, grab a cart, and walk in...whoa! The line for the checkout lanes had merged into one...which wrapped 2/3 of the way around the store (it was all the way back to the dairy section!!!). Not to mention that other people decided to leave when seeing this...leaving their empty carts everywhere within the store. It was madness. I left.
So, now, I still needed to go to the store. And the only other one I knew of in the general area was my old Safeway out on Hamilton at Meridian (15 minutes away). So I dealt with the Campbell traffic and meandered over there. The checkout lines looked ok, so I commenced shopping. First I got caught behind an old lady walking down teh dead center of the aisle, the dead center! And she was not moving too fast. I could not get around her either. Every time I'd try to make a move to one side or another, she would drift that way. Just awful.
Coming down an aisle three aisles later, two kids ran around the corner, saw my cart, and stopped. Dead. Right in front of me. Where was mom? I have no idea. But the kids would not move, even when I asked them to. So I did what I had to do, I started pushing my cart right at them. They got the point.
I dealt with two more, different, unique people walking slowly down the middle of aisles later on. Once the lady left her cart in the middle of the aisle to go look at something on the shelves, ignored me when I said "excuse me", then had a look of taking great offense to me moving her cart out of my way. Just awful.
Finally, they were accepting donations for breast cancer, cool enough. But, every time someone donated, a really annoying woman would announce it over the storewide intercom "Thanks to the donation at checkstand 5, weeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!" OH, it was so annoying. I didn't donate to breast cancer just to avoid having another announcement (I've donated elsewhere before...).
Then, I get out to the parking lot, load up my groceries, and go to leave. And, yes, I get caught behind an old person who probably had no business driving. Pulling out she was so worried about hitting the car parked next to her, she ended up making a 12 point turn, even though she had WAY more than enough rom. And then drove about 1 mph to get out. I was smart and went to another driveway to leave, as when I turned onto the street, she was still sitting at her driveway, apparently waiting for 2am when there's no traffic anymore.
Ugh, every time I go to the store its like this. Maybe not as bad as today was, but its usually pretty brutal. Thats why I miss staying up late like I did in Davis. I used to go shopping at 2am. At 2am, the only thing you have to avoid is restocking boxes, which I can deal with.
Maybe its an irrational hatred, but I try to avoid going shopping as much as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment