The sports gods are angry with me. Woefully angry. And they have not taken care to hide that anger...no, it is very visable. And scary. Oh, how scary it is.
You don't believe me? Maybe you are sadly ignorant and don't believe in the sports gods. That said, you are probably a Rams fan. The Rams fans' pompous attitudes after their Greatest Show on Turf days lead to their current demise, of course. But we aren't here to talk about the Rams. No one should be forced to talk about the Rams.
No, I'm here to talk about what I have done to piss off the sports gods...and what proof I have that they are angry. Oh, so angry. Such senseless anger. First, the proof:
1. The 49ers jumped out to an awesome start. This was back when the sports gods were still pleased with me. Then, they hosted the Falcons, and had their asses handed to them on a silver platter. For a team that was starting to get some national attention for their good play, this was not the showing they were hoping for. And now they are on bye, and there's been some turmoil on the roster (injuries, cuts, etc.). Things are not as bright as once appeared.
2. The Sharks have looked pedestrian, at best. They looked good in Anaheim, and at home against Columbus. But otherwise, its been painful to watch. After the Columbus and Minnesota wins, things have looked especially bleak. Their D has been bad, their scoring inconsistant. Its frusterating.
3. The A's finished out the season being swept by the Angels, and finishing in last place for the first time in like a decade. Just brutal.
4. The Dodgers got to the NLCS! And then have lost 2 of their first 3 to the Phillies. Which is shit. They lost 11-0 last night. Which is pretty awful.
5. My fantasy football team has the 4th highest point total in the 12 team league...and is 2-4. I've faced 5 teams who have scored over 120 points that week (average score is around 100...ppl have won with less than 100, though). Its just been brutal. I'm starting to feel that team is cursed.
So, letsee. The A's were done October 4th. The Dodgers started getting schelacked by the Phillies on the 15th, and again on the 18th. The Niners were 3-1 before getting trounced by the Falcons on the 11th. The Sharks were playing well until they lost at home to Pheonix on the 12th. These dates all seem to be in the same area. My fantasy team got back to 2-2 before losing the week of October 11th. If we throw out the A's, since they had been losing all year, there's a cluster of bad sports things happening to my teams the week of October 11-18. So I must have pissed them off on the 9th or 10th. So now that we have proof of their anger, and a general date range of when this started, lets see if we can pinpoint anything that may have occurred to anger them.
A few things happened on the 9th. We got pretty drunk at the house. But I've been drunk before, so I doubt this was it. Oh, I did put my name into the lottery to try and win a chance to buy Dodgers world series tickets. Maybe my presumption at thinking they would make it caused the sports gods to show me the reverse could be true. I also went to the Sharks game on the 12th, getting extra tickets to a game I didn't already have them to. I did this a lot last year and it didn't seem to anger the gods, but you never know. Maybe since I had seen such an awesome game at the home opener, the sports gods decided I had seen enough excitement and sent the Sharks into a minor tailspin.
None of this seems to point to anything major that would have caused such a drastic turn of fortunes. But maybe I was a little presumptuous thinking that my teams had a chance. I was not humble in the face of success, and the gods decided to punish my arrogance with poor play from my favorite teams. And for this, I apologize. I promise I will be much more humble in my teams' successes...at least until they win the whole thing (gods willing). Then all bets are off. But everyone goes overboard when their team wins a championship. Until then, I will show proper reverence to the awesome power of the sports gods. And I hope they can grant unto me their forgiveness for past transgressions.
No comments:
Post a Comment