July 28, 2009

(T)MMR: The Crackberry Morning

So, I wanna describe my super frusterating morning on Monday. Monday morning I woke up, and my blackberry's trackball would no longer scroll in the down direction. I decided (correctly) that this was because it was dirty inside and I needed to pull the trackball out and clean the wheels inside of it. The trackball is like a computer mouse, you see. You need to pull the ball out and scrape the crud off the wheels every now and then.

I get to work, pull the trackball out, and start scraping off the crud from the wheels (the down one was completely covered in caked on crud. Pretty ridic, and the reason it was no longer working. Once I had everything clean enough, I started trying to put everything back together.

I should take some time here to describe the track wheels. There are four of them (one for each direction) and they are small. I'd guess .5mm across, and small enough to fit under one of my fingernails. Super small. They are also magnetic, and have a tendency to jump away from one another. Needless to say, I dropped one on the carpet when trying to fit everything back together. What ensued the next hour was a massive hunt over my entire carpeted workspace for this tiny tiny piece. I never found it. At all. Super frusterating.

So, I went in to the Verizon Wireless store, expecting to get reamed, and just said "I need a new trackball for my blackberry." Dude told me to hold on a sec, ran to the back, and came out a minute later with a whole new trackball assembly. He popped it into the phone and said "here you go, you're all set!" Bam. Just like that, done. I walked out with a perfectly functioning Blackberry. I then had an Amato's Cheesesteak to celebrate, since I was in the area. Hooray! It was just a super frusterating morning in which I got no work done and ended up staying hella late to make up for it.

Ah well, everything worked out just fine in the end. Short rant this week, but its all I gots for now.

No comments: