August 03, 2009

MMR: The Joys of Travelling

So, when I was walking up to the apartment, travel bag in hand, last night after another weekend trip, I was struck with this feeling that I had been making this exact same Sunday night walk quite a few times recently. A quick look back at my summer shows that I have been out of town 5 of the last 6 weekends (Las Vegas, Williams, home, Oregon, Williams, Ventura). The Williams trips are always kinda throw-in trips that I don't tend to count. But the fact remains, I have not been home in my apartment must over the last few months. I happen to like this quite a bit. I like being on the move, doing things, going places, seeing things.

However, as is the case with all people who are paid a pittance, and also will be moving soon, and also have some cc balances to pay off, and the always futile attempts to save up some money when I barely make enough to live off of...I'm finding that I do not have the money to do all the travelling I would like to. I'm starting to repeat myself (like going to Williams a bunch, a Ventura repeat, etc.). So, I guess my first point of today's random and winding and nonsensical post is that I need help finding places that would be cool to see, but would also be easy on the bank account. I don't want to be stuck at home all the time. That is boring and lame. But I can't go spending 600-1000 bucks on a weekend trip to Vegas or New Orleans any time in the near future. Something like the Grand Canyon weekend (cheap hotel, cheap national park, cheap food, awesome location), but not 700 miles away would be the kinds of things I'm looking for. So, whats out there in this area that would be awesome to go visit on a weekend?

Next, I'm starting to feel more and more bored at home. I spend my weekends all over the state and all over the Western U.S. Thus, my weekdays spent working and playing WoW start to pale in comparison. It pales quite a bit, actually. I've been pretty busy at work, so the work day is going by pretty quickly...but the rest of the time just seems like this monotonous drag until I can get to the weekend and go somewhere and do something worthwhile. It makes for rough weeks. So, second on my list is that I need to figure out what there is to do in this area that could spice up my day to day life. Some fun things I could go do after work that would help make the week more fun! When I was golfing more, I enjoyed that quite a bit. But the boys at the office are all in golf league, so they haven't been going out any more than that during the week. I need more things to do during the week (and, possibly, more people to do them with).

Letsee, what else can I draw from all this weekend escaping. Well, clearly I'm a restless soul who needs to be on the move constantly, but we all knew that already. I guess thats it for now. I'm actually (as of right now) in town this coming weekend. So if anyone is in this area and wants to hang out, let me know!


Q's Challenge: Week 22:

This week's challenge will center around my recently completed Ventura weekend. I'll just skim over the new things I did this week now, and then I'll go more in depth about my weekend when I bang out a Q's Adventures on it in the next few days.

1. New Museum: So, I'd been to The Getty Museum in LA, but I'd never been to the Getty Villa in Malibu...until Friday. The Getty Villa is the newer Getty museum, but this one centers on old Greek and Roman stuff. It has hella sculptures and site excavation findings and things like that from the ancient Greek and Roman era, which is pretty cool. I saw some amazing statues, some awesome pottery and stonework. It was a really cool experience...especially for someone like me who loves museums and looking at all this old stuff.
Grade: Glorious

2. Visited the Santa Monica Pier: I'd, surprisingly, never been there before. I'd been to Malibu, and I'd been to Santa Monica's 3rd Street Promenade, which is like 2 blocks away. But I'd never been out to the peir. It was an interesting place. Its all built up with the rides and the shops and whatnot. I found it very relaxing to sit out there watching the waves roll into the huge beach there. It's pretty crowded, and there's definately some talent out there. So, yeah, it was a pretty cool place. I could see myself spending a weekend there just bumming around the beach and such.
Grade: Pretty chill.

3. New Golf Course: Golfed at the par 34 Saticoy Golf Course just up the valley from Ventura. It was a cheap-0 golf course, which is fine for someone like me still working on his game. I golfed marginally ok. Not as awful as some previous rounds, but definately not as well as I know I can. It was nice to get out, and the weather was perfect (as you would expect for down there).
Grade: Decent.

So, yeah, I had a good weekend. I'll write more about it later this week.

No comments: