So, is it just me, or has this summer not really felt like summer at all? Its probably just me, but seriously, its August already, and it doesn't even feel like there's been any summer at all. Part of it is probably because of having to work every week, but really, this is no different than last summer, when I was working at the same place and the same hours. But last summer definately felt like summer. Maybe it was because I went to Cozumel for a week, and sat around in the Caribbean drinking and swimming...a distinctly summer thing to do. This summer...not so much.
This summer, I really haven't done anything summer-y. I have yet to go to the beach. I haven't been to a single baseball game. I haven't been anywhere tropical. I dunno what it is, but summer has been just like spring which was just like winter. Sad times. Of course, I don't think its helping that it hasn't been particularly hot this summer. Like, we had one heat wave when I was in Vegas, but I was in Vegas. We had one when I was in Oregon, but I was in Oregon. And it was warm yesterday. But mostly its been a cool summer. Summer is supposed to be boiling hot and ridiculous, and it hasn't been.
So, what do I do about this? Well, next Monday I'm going to make sure to get out to the A's v. Yankees game. I'll also make sure to get to a few more before the season is out. I'm also going to try and get a beach weekend together at some point...although I'm really not sure there's anyone in the are who I could scrounge up to go with me. Otherwise, I'm just going to realize that this is life in the working world. Summer doesn't exist and I just need to get used to it.
Anyways, that's enough for now. Time to move on to the tearful end of Q's Challenge...
Q's Challenge: The End
So, this week that just passed would be week 23 of my challenge I started a little while back. And, to tell you the truth, I'm shocked that I've kept tracking the new things I've been up to even this long. However, I think its time to call an end to this exercise. I have a few reasons for this, that I will outline in a sec, but really, I'm just bored of trying to come up with new things to do, in the confines of my current schedule, week in and week out. Its becoming too much of "oh, this week I saw a new movie" or "this week I tried a new recipe in cooking." That shit is just regular day to day things. The only time the Challenge was exciting was when I was travelling and seeing new things, but that already goes into Q's Adventures, and really shouldn't count.
Essentially, this exercise became less and less about doing new things, and more and more about finding new things I was already doing in my day to day life and counting those every week. It turns out that I am doing new things every week, just that most of those new things are pretty mundane. Which is to be expected. No one can do huge, exciting, earth shattering new things 3 times a week every week. Thats unfeasable. But I tend to travel enough that some cool new experiences do happen to me quite a bit. So, on this point, the challenge is really just a reflection of my day to day life and not really worth tracking anymore.
Finally, I started the Challenge as a way to try and break out of the rut I was finding myself in. 22 weeks later, I've found that the rut is still there, and it has nothing to do with the ancillary things I do in my free time. It has, mostly, to do with working and with where I live and who's around me. I don't really have anyone I can call up in this area and be all "hey, lets go do x right now." And, for the most part, its boring to go out by yourself. So, in essence, I guess I've learned that I don't need minor day to day or week to week changes in my life to get out of this rut, but I probably need wholesale changes to my life. Now, I shouldn't say my life is totally boring. Expecially this summer, I've been keeping pretty busy. But I do think I'd be having a much better time, especially during the weeknights, if I had more friends in the area to call up and do things with.
Anyways, I'm rambling and getting off topic. The Challenge is officially over. It was a good experiement, even if it didn't accomplish what I hoped it would. However, I will still write about random shit that happens to me here in the blog, I'll keep writing about my travels in Q's Adventures, and I'll still keep ranting about stuff that pisses me off in the MMR.
No comments:
Post a Comment