July 20, 2009

Q's Adventures: Oregon...the rest of the story.

When we last left, I had gone golfing...poorly. Things started looking up from there!

Thursday I did indeed go whitewater rafting. See...



Beasty! Yeah, I'm pretty much insane. I kept paddling so well that I was spinning the boat. So I had to back off. Lame! But it was still good times. We were only on the water like an hour, though. So it was really just a tasting of whitewater...an appetizer, if you will

Thursday afternoon, once we had recovered from our whitewater adventure, my dad and I ran out and played 9 holes on the Woodlands course in sunriver. I played a little more consistantly this time, and shot a 46 through 9 holes. Better than the 50s I put up front and back the day before. When I got back from golfing, Bubs and Shayleigh had arrived, and it was time for dinner, hot tubbing, and bed.

Friday started off once again on the Deschutes River, but this time in canoes. We had 2 3-man canoes...BQ, Mom, and Grandma in one; Bubs, Shayleigh, and myself in the other. We then spent the morning canoeing down a 3 mile stretch of river in Sunriver. It was very nice. Oh, right, I almost forgot, Titan also came with us in the canoes. He has hardcore separation anxiety, though. Every time Bubs and I would paddle ahead of the other canoe, he'd start whimpering and wining. He wanted us to keep our boats together so he could jump freely between the two. That obviously wasn't going to happen. But we did go back and visit once in a while.

That afternoon Bubba, Shayleigh, and I drove down to LaPine and met up with Coach, Mikey, and his dad at a cabin on the river Mikey's dad owns. Out there we had BBQ for dinner and rode around on ATVs. As I was a novice (I'd only ridden ATVs once before), I was given the beasty automatic transmission ATV. This thing was pretty cool, let me tell you. On the dirt trail run we were running in the area, I was getting upward 30mph, even over the small jumps. It was pretty wicked. I came back completely covered in dust. The BBQ was awesome, and it was good to see Coach and Mikey (and completely random they were in Oregon, 15 miles from where we were staying, and the same time we were there). Then we went back to the house in Sunriver, and it was time for bed.

Saturday was our last full day in Oregon. And, alas, we did the tourist thing. We went to the High Desert Museum first. This is more of a zoo/museum, really...since they have birds of prey (bald eagles, hawks, owls), river otters, porcupines, etc. They also have exhibits. They have an old sawmill from the 1800s (still working), exhibits from the old Oregon Trail days, and of the native americans from the area. All in all, its a pretty cool place. Shayleigh seemed to really like it, which is good. After that we went to the Lava Lands and learned about the area's volcanos...then went to the top of Lava Butte, which has amazing views of the area's Cascade mountains. Unfortunately, on this day, it was rather hazy...so the views were limited. Still nice, though. The day ended with some dinner, hot tubbing, and chillin.

Sunday was a travel day. However, to help prevent this day from being completely boring, Bubs, Shayleigh and I detoured through Crater Lake for lunch. I had never been to Crater Lake, but I had heard good things. I was not prepared for how stunning this place is, though. It is gorgeous. Here, look...



The picture is amazing, and still doesn't do the place justice. It's like the Grand Canyon...you really have to see it for yourself. Anyways, after lunch, we drove back to Williams, where I picked up the Explorer, drove to Morgan Hill, dropped off my parents' stuff at their house, and then drove to Campbell. It became a 13 hour travel day. But totally worth it to see Crater Lake.

Anyways, it was an awesome trip, and nice to get away for an entire week. Now I'm back at work, which is definately not as awesome as travelling. Ah well, such is life!

3 comments:

Julie said...

That is almost too pretty to be real. Uber jealousy going on here.

Anonymous said...

One correction. This was your second visit to Crater Lake. Of course, the first time you were about 3 years old at the time.

ZeroIndulgence said...

Doesn't count!