November 06, 2004

Who's next? Republican and Democratic Presidential Hopefuls...

Now that this election is over, and things are starting to calm down again, I pose this question: Who do you think will be up for the Republican and/or Democratic nominations in 2008?

For the Democrats, if they are to be successful, I believe they have to find someone who is both more moderate and has a good flare about them. Someone who is a good public speaker (like Bill Clinton was), but also isn't too far left in their political views. The nation is in the midst of a conservative swing, so the more moderate a candidate, the better for the Democrats. Regardless of this, the most obvious name being thrown around right now is Hilary Clinton. I don't think she would be a very successful candidate though. First off, she is too liberal for our country today. Also, and I'm not trying to be sexist, but I can't see our country voting in a female president. Putting whether or not I think a woman could be president aside, I don't think the country would vote for one. A few other Democratic names I can think of: John Edwards again, Howard Dean could re-emerge, or quite possibly a Democratic governor from a Southern state or Midwestern state to try and break the Republican stronghold there. I don't know any governors though. Tom Daschle would have been another one, but he lost this election, so he's pretty much politically dead. Barack Obama might be a rising star in the Democratic Party, but he's too young and inexperienced right now. I could see him emerge as a VP in 2008 or a candidate in 2012 (if the Dems dont win in '08).

As for the Republicans, the first name that comes to mind is Rudy Giuliani. He's a very moderate Republican who is very popular after how he dealt with 9/11. You might see him join Bush's cabinet during his second term, possibly paving the way for a presidential campaign in '08. If an amendment is passes, Arnold Schwarzenegger is another potential candidate. He's another moderate Republican with broad appeal. If he does well in California between now and then, and the proper amendments are passed, Arnold '08 might not be so far out there. Finally, New York governor George E. Pataki would be another possibility. He's done a good job in New York, serving his 3rd term as governor right now. I've also heard John McCain's name mentioned, but James brought up a good point that with all of his health problems, he wouldn't make a good candidate. Same reason why Dick Cheney won't be running in '08, too many health related concerns.

I know the next presidential election is a long ways off, but it is definately interesting to think about. Post your thought here one who you think could be a candidate or who would make a good one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I doubt that Arnold will get the chance. The amendments that would need to be passed would be more than a bit questionable, and I doubt would fly with either party. It would also be a very "dangerous" move on the part of the country from the view of most people.

I know it won't happen, but Nader '08! (I can say this since California usually goes for my preferred candidate, of the two I am forced to choose from, and for now I just want Nader to get 5% so he can get national funding and into debates.)

Truth be told, though, we need something better than a democracy, and I don't know if that will happen until America's somehow weakens. I can't imagine that happening in the forseeable future, and it would be an unpleasant side effect anyway since I am American. Still, personal hits for the greater good are unquestionably worth the individual downfalls along the way.

That of course argues for some form of anarchy (what form I am not sure) for a brief period in America to best serve the world in the long run. Still I wouldn't go tearing down our little communities until we get a little bit more of an idea as to what to implement after that period must end. I guess that upon that point to ponder I will leave.

-Sameer

Anonymous said...

As far as democrats go, I hope that Clark tries to go for the nomination again. He definitely wasn't a vocal enough candidate for the primary last time around, and thats what caused him to fall from favorite to dead last of the major players. Of those candiates (Kerry, Edwards, Dean, and Clark) he was definintely the most moderate, and I think that he would have been unstoppable with Edwards or Kerry as his running mate because he would have appealed to a lot of the groups that Kerry repelled, namely Sourtherners, the military, and moderates with conservative leanings.
James

Anonymous said...

the dems need to build a base before they can ever hope of defeating a republican. rudy is good, but too many skeletons and too moderate for the core of the repubs(which as a moderate conservative personally is unfortunate) will derail him. 3 years ago i would have said trent lott, till he pissed away his career with comments that were taken wayyyyyy out of context, but should not have been said at all. ms. clinton also has too many skeletons and is way too much a polerizing figure to pose a threat to a solid repub, and libby dole would defeat her on service and values easily. all i have to say is vote BRILL 2035

Anonymous said...

that is when the campaigning will start

James Brill