Every
December, homes across
I have my own
preferences…and if you’ve ever been in any of my houses throughout the years,
you’ll know I’m a colored man…wait, that came out wrong…I meant to say that I
am a man of color! Shit…I like pretty
colored Christmas lights to plain, boring old white ones! But, there is a debate to be had…so, let’s
take a look!
White Christmas Lights
The main
thinking about white lights goes as such:
white lights are classy and work with everything. Go through any upscale neighborhood, and you
will likely see an abundance of white lights.
You’ll see those giant brick houses outlined in bright, white
lights. And, I will admit, it looks very
neat, clean, and classy. You can tell
there is no fun to be had at that house…only quiet admiration of the pretty
white lights.
A tree with
white lights can shine on even the darkest of nights. But in the end, we are surrounded by white
light all freaking year. I need some
color in my life!
Colored Christmas Lights
Whereas
white lights are the hoity toity version of Christmas decorations, the colored
lights are the fun brother who lives across the tracks. It's fun. It's festive. It says go ahead, have too many cups of
spiked hot chocolate and wear that Santa hat, we're all friends here. Who cares about clashing colors, or whether
the lights match the rest of your house.
If you're doing seasonal decor right, it'll look like a reindeer barfed
on your doorstep, anyway. Go nuts!
At the risk
of sounding treacly, there's just something a little magical about bringing a
big, riotous burst of color to a random corner of your living room, or your
front porch, or strung across your kitchen window. It changes the whole look of the place. You
dim the overhead lights and suddenly it's all red, green and blue. Doesn't matter if you've got landlord beige
walls and Ikea furniture—suddenly it's like you're inside that Chip and Dale
cartoon where they wreak havoc inside Mickey's Christmas tree! Hell, even the most famous Christmas Tree in America
is usually decked out in fun, festive colored lights!
Tacky? You bet!
Colorful? Absolutely! Fun in a way white lights can never be? Yes!
Colored lights ARE Christmas. String em up, grab the egg nog, and lets
party!


No comments:
Post a Comment