So, here we go. First list of the Year in Review: Top 10 Movies. These are not necessarily the top 10 movies that came out this year. They’re just the top 10 movies that I saw. The Top 10 Movies list started back a few years ago when I used to go see all the movies. Like, I think one year I saw 26 movies in the theatres…which is one every other week. Insane. These days, I’m lucky to see 10 in a year. I think I got there this year, though. So, here’s my Top 10 Movies of the year, in order, with a ranking out of 10.
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (10/10) – For anyone who knows me, they knew this would top the list. I’m a huge Harry Potter fan, love the books, love the movies…and I thought they did a great job ending the series in movie form. So, top spot, hands down.
2. Moneyball (9/10) – This was just a great baseball movie. And, being as it was about my favorite baseball team, in an era that I know very well, it really spoke to me. The scene from the 20th win in the streak, I remember being at that game, and how amazing it was at the time. So, yeah, it gets bumped up to #2.
3. 50/50 (9/10) – I actually really enjoyed this movie. It was funny and heart warming at the same time. And I’ve always enjoyed Seth Rogan and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, so this was a good one. Cancer is a shitty subject in general. It seems to affect everyone, and there’s no telling who will live and who will not. This movie does an ok job addressing it from the side of the guy dealing with the cancer, as well as his interactions with those around him. Kinda hit home...so yeah, definitely one of my favorites this year.
4. Horrible Bosses (8/10) – I found this movie to be pretty funny. Of course, I’m a big It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia fan, so Charlie Day being in it was a treat. But it was an intriguing story line, and well timed comedy. And a great overall cast. What’s not to like?
5. Fast Five (8/10) – Super enjoyable film…just like all the Fast and Furious movies are. I enjoyed it from beginning to end. Super entertaining, lots of cars, cash, women, action, etc. Anything you can want from one of these. The next one should be pretty good too.
6. Captain America: The First Avenger (8/10) – These were all very close…Captain America could have easily been 4th…but its 6th. It was very well done, and I enjoyed the historical context they put the movie in. But, man, so many super hero movies have come out. Not to say I won’t watch the shit out of The Avengers next year…just means I ended up putting Captain America 6th instead of 4th. Sorry!
7. Limitless (7.5/10) – This one kind of came in under the radar for me. I missed it in the theatres, but my roomie said it was good, so I picked it up on Blu Ray…and it was really entertaining! I mean, the premise is impossible, but one that’s fun to think about. Thus, it was a fun movie! Truly enjoyed it.
8. The Muppets (7/10) – I love the Muppets. They are great. My favorite telling of a Christmas Carol is the Muppet version. I’ve watched it twice this season. So when they came out with a new Muppet movie, I was sold. And it was great. It made me miss The Muppet Show. I now want the entire series on DVD to own. Sadly, only the first three seasons are out. Then they stopped making them. Maybe they’ll make the rest now after the movie.
9. The Hangover, Part 2 (6/10) – I loved the first one. Love it. Found every second of it to be hilarious. The second one is the exact same movie, almost line for line and joke for joke…except set in Bangkok. Thus, it was still funny. But, being as there was nothing new, it doesn’t get the accolades of the first one.
10. Cowboys and Aliens (6/10) – It had a great cast, and an ok plot line. You see it for the action, rather than the story. I dunno, it was ok. I enjoyed it well enough. And Olivia Wilde is gorgeous, so that helps.
Missing the List: Rango, Bad Teacher.
Please feel free to comment with your own favorite movies of the past year. See you tomorrow for a look back at the world of sports in 2011.
2 comments:
Good selection of films there. I still need to see the Muppets and Horrible Bosses.
I did not care for either Horrible Bosses and Limitless. I was just unconfortable for Horrible Bosses and Limitless seemed to take a guy who could have been a super cool secret agent and make him a stock brocker? Such wasted potiential.
Post a Comment