Of all the 12 months in the year, October is the greatest of them all. Affectionately known as The Month of Pat (and sometimes, in far fewer circles, The Month of Julie...:-P), October has been great for at least 27 years now. And its not just because it is the month in which I was born. While October 3, 1983 was a great day in human history, there are many other reasons why October is the greatest month of them all.
The first few reasons are all sports related. In October, the hockey season starts up again! This, of course, is awesome! I'll be heading out to a Sharks game on the 16th, and another one on the 19th. Awesome! It's about time, I've missed hockey. Also, football is in full swing. This year, with how abysmally the Niners are playing, it's not as much a cause for joy, but I still love the sport, and will watch other games and Red Zone Channel too. Finally, the baseball playoffs are in October as well! This year they'll probably suck with the Giants in them, but hopefully they can lose early, get embarassed, and then fun teams like the Reds, Braves, Phillies, Rays, Twins, and Rangers can move on and make things interesting.
The next is the weather. Here in California we have what is called Indian Summer...which is really just a term for the fact that it can get really freaking hot here in the fall. But, mostly, October is very nice weather...mid 70s, sun. But we'll also sometimes see our first rain of the season in October as well, which is a nice change. Overall, though, its not too hot, cools off nicely at night, and just provides for some pleasant living experiences.
And, of course, my birthday falls in October, which is pretty awesome. In the past I've done a weekend in Vegas with friends, a weekend in Disneyland with mom, and this year I went golfing with the parents and then they cooked me filet mignon and lobster tail! So, yeah, my birthday is pretty much awesome all the time! It's a pretty awesome way to start off a great month! Fun fact, I share a birthday with A's legend Dennis Eckersley. So, yeah, October 3rd is a great day when great people are born!
Finally, October closes with Halloween, which is a fun holiday. The last few years I've headed up to Pasha's place in Daly City for a halloween party. Sometimes I even dress up (we'll see, I don't really like dressing up). When I was a kid, Halloween was always a highlight. School was fun on Halloween, and then roaming the neighborhood at night was awesome. And we had a very active neighborhood, so that was always cool. These days I'm not as big a fan of the holiday, but its still an excuse to party, and that's never a bad thing. Halloween is also the unofficial kickoff (in my mind) of the holiday season. Halloween is followed in a few short weeks by Thanksgiving, and then Christmas, and finally New Years! October is the doorway to what can be a very fun (albeit sometimes overrated) part of the year!
So, yeah, October, pretty great. Hope you all enjoy this month as much as I will!
1 comment:
yay for the month of Julie and Pat! Will we see you at Pasha's this year too?
Post a Comment