October 25, 2010

MMR: Cleansing my Karma for the Sports Gods

This weekend might have been the worst sports weekend for me ever (and if it's not, then it's close).  The Giants made it to the World Series.  The Sharks, while winning on Saturday, were embarassed on Sunday by a Calgary Flames team that really isn't that good this year.  The 49ers were embarassed by a supposedly inferior Carolina Panthers team that had yet to win a single game this season.  The A's lost their amazing pitching coach the season after their starters posted the best ERA in the AL...and at such a young age.  The Texas Longhorns lost their football game against Iowa St (a really, really bad football team)...killing any chance they had at a BCS bowl birth.  Even in the MMA world, my favorite fighter, Brock Lesnar, was demolished by Cain Velasquez and lost his Heavyweight Title.  I was forced to watch David Carr play QB for my favorite football team, followed by Antti Niemi play G for my favorite hockey team.  That is a sports day no one should ever be forced to endure.  And to top it all off, my fantasy football and hockey teams were both obliterated.  No solice, no moral victories...just pain, and sadness.

Sadly, this has been the norm this month.  The Niners have been atrocious.  The Sharks have been mediocre at best.  The Giants have kept winning despite having little actual talent on their roster.  It's almost as if the fates have conspired against me, that the sports gods are angry, and that I am surrounded by a bad karma.

So, in an attempt to rid myself of this evil sports karma that surrounds me, and to appease the Sports Gods, it is time for a Sports Karma Cleansing.

Karma is the energy that surrounds us, and, based on actions, attitudes, and outlooks on life, it can be greatly positive or negative.  When stuck in a negative karmic rut, there are ways to cleanse one's karma, and try to get your karma back to the positive.

Unfortunately, I have literally no idea off the top of my head as to how to cleanse my karma.  I've always had good karma.  So, I headed to the internet.  Google is wonderful, by the way.  I read through numerous sites, and many were a little "out there" for my tastes:  psychic energies, chi, cleansing past lives, etc.  No, thank you, lets keep it simple.  Among those sites that I found helpful, it seems that there are 5 basic things that need to happen in order to cleanse one's karma:  Be grateful, change your actions, check your motives, act with love, and forgive.

OK, let's give this a try!

Be Grateful:  Sometimes we concentrate so much on the negative aspects of karma, that we forget to realize all the good things karma brings us, as well.  I am grateful that I am in a position, financially and geographically, to be able to attend sporting events.  I am grateful that the Sharks have been so good over the last handful of years...we haven't had to cheer for the Leafs or the Oilers...ugh.  I am grateful that the A's have so much young talent on the horizon, and that they may be turning the corner into contender sooner rather than later.

Change Your Actions:  I'm going to lump this one in with the next one.  They are pretty similar in this case.

Check Your Motives:  I think this is where I am getting dinged the most.  Lately, the Giants' winning in the playoffs has made me a bitter old man.  I don't like it, and have been very vocal about it.  I've even done things to try and change my karma in order to spite the Giants.  This is wrong.  My motives have been in the wrong place...negative energy is coming out of me towards a team that brings so many people so much joy.  So, I need to state this as clearly as I can...this karmic cleansing is not an attempt to kill the Giants' World Series dreams.  It is simply a way to make my sports experiences more fulfilling and enjoyable.  I will no longer be actively hoping for the Giants to lose, as that just creates negative energy, and it doesn't do anyone any good.  I will cheer for the teams I like...not against those I do not like.

Act With Love:  Not sure this one applies to sports karma.  Although I do love the Sharks, the A's, the Dodgers, the 49ers, and the Lakers.  I will act more out of love for these teams, and not contempt for their shortcomings.

Forgive:  Mainly, I need to forgive the Sharks for the playoff pain they have caused me over the years.  It is not their fault...the Stanley Cup Playoffs are a tough, physical grind.  Something I can only begin to imagine.  I'm sure their losses hurt them even more than they hurt me.  I am just thankful that they have been providing us fans with such a high level of play for so long.  I also forgive the Braves and the Phillies for not taking care of the Giants.  No malice was intended, and I do realize that.

You know, I do feel much better now!  Not in such a negative frame of mind.  I'm going to go out this week and just enjoy the sporting events in front of me.  I will laugh at the things I cannot control, and marvel in the feats of sport I can only dream of.  October is a great month for sports.  No use wasting it just because my teams are not playing as well as I had hoped!

Sports Gods, please forgive me for my sports sins.  I had temporarily lost my way, but I'm back, baby!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked it!! Being positive!! Yay!!!