February 11, 2010

I'm Moving to Canada

Seriously, at least for the two weeks of the olympics, I might have to move on up to Canada. It turns out that NBC will not be broadcasting hockey on its main network at all this Olympics. Not even the Canada-US game on the 21st...which will basically be an NHL all star game. What is the Canada-US game being shuttled to MSNBC for? Ice Dancing. No joke.

Greg Wyshynski over at Puck Daddy looked into it here, and found that:
According to the network, there are three major sporting events that have more female viewers than male viewers: the Kentucky Derby, the Summer Olympics and the Winter Olympics. Turning three hours of prime-time coverage on the East Coast over to a hockey game isn't exactly catnip to those casual female viewers
And women want to watch ice dancing, I guess. I watched part of one ice dancing couple. Once. And it was the most excrutiating 20 seconds I've ever witnessed on television. And I used to dance. I just can't stand it. Now, I didn't think I was that out of touch with women, and America in general...but according to NBC, random ice dancing will get better ratings than a hockey game between the US and Canada. I just don't see it.

NBC had one good point about not wanting to interrupt hockey coverage for a record setting bobsled run or something, but thats complete bs. They could always show it during intermissions or whatever. That's just looking for excuses at this point. Also, NBC has an agreement with the NHL to show hockey. Wouldn't they be better served by trying to drum up interest in hockey by showing its best players competing against one another in prime time? Sigh.

So, yes, for the next two weeks, consider me a Canadian. Except a Canadian that's cheering for the US Hockey team...at least until they're eliminated. Then it's all Canada for me!

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate ice dancing. I would rather watch ice hockey. Love, Mom

ps - don't move to Canada. Too far....