February 10, 2009

(T)MMR: Restless

I'm a restless man. This much is widely known, though. I'm always on the move. Cozumel, San Diego, New Orleans, Arizona, Las Vegas...yes, I'm always trying to keep myself busy and out of town on the weekends. Even if its just a trip to Williams to see my brother, at least I'm going somewhere. I've also thought about moving somewhere new when my lease is up...you know, trying out somewhere new for a while.

We all know this already...we all know I'm a restless soul. I guess what I want to discuss is: why?

I guess the first part of why is my upbringing. My family vacationed pretty much every summer as a kid. Most of the time it was either to Hawaii or Oregon, and we always had a great time. Thus, from a young age, I was indocrtinated in the joys of traveling and seeing the world (or at least the west coast!). It's something I've always enjoyed, and now that I'm more or less financially independent, I can create and go on vacations myself...choose my own destinations and dates and everything! Pretty sweet.

But we only vacationed once a year...and I seemingly like to get out of town every weekend. What else could be driving this?

Maybe I have some mild form of ADD. I can't sit still doing the same thing for too long as it is. And I don't like repetitive weekends. I need new things to happen to keep me interested and entertained. Even when I'm watching my weekly TV shows, I'm always doing something else. Last night I was watching a brand new 24, and in the middle I got tired of sitting there just watching tv (even though I love 24, and the episode wasn't boring in the least), so I got up and changed my sheets while watching tv. Sometimes I'll be playing NHL 09 on my computer while I have SportsCenter on in the background...so I can take a break from playing to watch the tv and vice versa. And sometimes I'll just get bored and leave and go to Kohl's or something. Who knows. Nothing in my day to day life, except work, is planned out. Things just kind of happen.

The last 5 paragraphs have taken 3 hours to write. I had to work, and I left for lunch, then mid paragraph I decided to go surf the web for a bit...ooo, look, something shiny!

Anyways, back on track here...I have no idea why I'm as restless as I am. I've always felt like I get stuck in a rut when I'm at home for too long. Most of my friends are out of town, so I travel to see them. And I have a goal to step foot in every state in the country and every continent in the world. So, you know, I have to get crackin on this one. Finally, I think that I just like the freedom being able to travel gives you. It's like...damn straight, I was in California this morning and now I'm in South Carolina (I'll be saying that on Thursday)! Being away from home also helps me enjoy being home during the week that much more.

Anyways, if you wanna hang out with me on a weekend, make sure to book it at least a month in advance! :-P

Anyone else have any theories on why I am so restless and want to travel so much? Post away!

1 comment:

Julie said...

You have too much awesomeness to be contained in one place for too long? That'd be my theory. And I know what you mean about ADD. I have that too. I can never just be online, or watching tv, or doing whatever. I multitask all the time. I just hate wasting time and the thought of not using all my time to it's full ability pisses me off.