OK, it's official. I need to do something to get my out of my normal way of thinking. My normal way of thinking is usually too conservative. I mean, I spend money and go on trips and such...so my life isn't terribly boring all the time. But the normal day to day aspect of my life needs an adjustment. So it's happening.
What was the camel breaking straw? Well, it's something I'm still pretty sure I made a good decision on. I don't want to go into it here, but picture a Hello Kitty tattoo on the ass. No, not on my ass, I backed out. This is my problem. If I was "trying new things," then "impulsive tattoo's that you agree to get while drunk" would be a good way to kick things off, right? Fuck man, I need to live a little. (I'm still pleased with my decision to back out. If I was living in Williams with everyone else, I would have gotten it. But here in the Bay Area, I'd just be that weird guy with the Hello Kitty on his butt...I wouldn't get much use out of it. Maybe...).
Edit: You know, I'm not upset that I didn't get the tattoo. What I'm most upset about is that even when thinking that I might actually go through with it, there was that voice in the back of my brain saying "you aren't going through with this. you don't do these kinds of things." I knew before I even backed out that I wouldn't go through with it, and that worries me. I'm too stuck in my ways.
Anyways, I started thinking, and realized that it could have been a lotta fun. But I was stuck in my old ways of thinking. No, it didn't make sense, and I wouldda had to live with it forever...but so fucking what? So, the challenge is on.
Q's Try Something New Challenge:
I will be doing something new/different/out of the ordinary at least three times a week. A week will begin on a Monday, and end on a Sunday. And I am going to try to keep this up for a full year. Every week, I'll recap the new things I tried here on my blog. Small new things will probably just be footnotes in an MMR, but bigger things will be full posts. Posts won't always be on Mondays, but will be sometime the following week.
This "new" thing doesn't always have to be big. Lots of times it will be a small thing (e.g. going to a new bar, trying out a new daily routine, etc.). The point is to mix things up a little. Also, if I take a vacation to somewhere new, that will count as one...but I'll have to try new things on this trip to get things 2 and three. Since travelling itself isn't particularly new for me, just the places I go, it'll have to include doing things on these trips that I don't normally do. Like, if I was to roadtrip to Denver, I'd get credit for one new thing, going to Denver. If I flew to Disneyland, I wouldn't get credit for anything new because I go there all the time...but if I rode the teacups, I'd get credit for something new, because I don't go on that ride. See?
And, every new thing I try will have a ranking. The ranking system is as follows:
Glorious: This was something new that I really enjoyed and would definately do again and am super glad I tried it out.
Decent: This was something new that I enjoyed, but wasn't, you know, glorious. I'd do it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it again.
Meh: This was something new that is more or less neutral. It wasn't awful or great, it just was what it was. I'd do it again, or I might not. It's not really an issue.
Poopy: Not great, and something I probably wouldn't do again on my own. However, I wouldn't avoid it like the plague, and would tag along if a friend wanted to do the same thing.
Horrific: This was something new that I would never do again. It was awful, I hated it, and wish I had never started this stupid challenge because it led me to doing this.
Seems simple enough. So, here's what I need from my loyal readers (well, probably my loyal reader (singular) these days...but you never know): I need ideas of new things I can try. Most of the new things that I do will just be random things, but it would be nice to have some ideas in the back of my brain for new things I could try that would be totally out of character for me and would jumble my daily life. So, anything and everything you think of, please comment back. And I'll let you know how the challenge goes!
Start Date: February 23, 2009.
End Date (hopefully): February 21, 2010
Let the games begin!
1 comment:
Simple little ones to start off with would be the ordering a new drink at a new bar (two birds with one stone there), trying out a new recipe, read a new book, etc. These of course are easy ones and not as exciting as getting an hello kitty tattoo on you, but honestly, is that something you want with you forever anyways? Though you could go get it removed too which would be yet another new thing...
Still I'll think of other things, maybe a wee bit more exciting and keep you posted. And if you ever need a buddy to keep you company while you try out new food or take you ice skating or whatever, let me know.
Post a Comment