Last night the roomie and I wandered up into Oaktown (what what!) for a rock n roll concert. The lineup was as follows.
Saving Abel: This is a relatively new band that I'm not too familiar with. I had heard of them before, but wasn't familiar with any of their songs. However, I must say, they were pretty darned good. For a band with only one album out (released last year) they sure do have a good stage presence. And they ended with their hit single "Addicted" which sounded vaguely familiar and was very good.
Papa Roach: It's not often that you get a multi-platinum recording artist to be an "intro" act, but Papa Roach came out next, and absolutely stole the show. You could tell they've been doing this for a while, as they were very very good at interacting with and getting a response out of the crowd. I should mention that I'm a little biased, because Papa Roach is one of my favorite bands (and definately my favorite band out of any band formed after 1990), but man, they were good. They played most of my favorites, and gave us a sneak preview into their new album (which drops in March...the 25th I think), and it sounded like it should be another good one! But man, they were just phenomenal.
Buckcherry: I was really looking forward to seeing Buckcherry, as I really only knew one of their songs ("Crazy Bitch"...which I'm a big fan of) and wanted to see what else they had to offer. Sadly, it was not a great performance. Honestly, it was just too loud. I know, I know, rock n roll is supposed to be loud...but this was loud to the point where you couldnt pick out the lyrics or any discernable melody. It sounded like one big distortion pedal experiment. Obviously, I could pick out "Crazy Bitch" when they played it...but for someone who was unfamiliar with the rest of their music, they didn't really give me an opportunity to hear it and decide if I liked it or not. Disappointing, especially after how awesome Papa Roach was.
Avenged Sevenfold: Avenged Sevenfold was awesome. They started their set just like their last album (self-titled album, 2007) began...with the organ music leading into "Critical Acclaim." Hot. They had a pretty sweet set, and the whole show came across very very well. They played everything I was hoping to hear: "Beast and the Harlot", "Bat Country", "Scream", among others. All in all, it was a very good set, an awesome way to end the concert, and they weren't overshaddowed by Papa Roach (probably mostly because of the disappointment of Buckcherry's set).
All in all this was a pretty awesome concert. 3 of the 4 acts were really really good to amazing. Buckcherry was disappointing, but I still got to hear Crazy Bitch and it was still good. We were there for like 5 hours, though. The show started at 630, and we got out of there a little before 1130. Insanity! A good night of rock n roll, though...and I would totally go see Papa Roach or Avenged Sevenfold in concert again anytime they come back to the Bay Area.
No comments:
Post a Comment