Instead of a lot of random toughts tonight, this one is going to be one long rant on one topic. It's a topic that's been on my mind recently, and I've been hearing a lot more about lately.
OK, disclaimer: This is not a rant on any roommate in particular. I have drawn on many different people's roommate experiences in writing this, and have some conclusions to draw. So, if you read this, and you live with me, or have lived with me, or thought about living with me, or desperately want to live with me...this is not a rant directed at anyone in specific. It is a very general rant.
OK, first off, we are all going to have problems at one time or another with roommates. This is inevitable. Put people together who aren't used to living together, there is bound to be problems. The key to surviving these problems, and ultimately having a good time living with your friends, is compromise. Here's some problems I've found or had personally.
Roommates rooting around in other people's backpacks or going through a roommate's things without recieving permission. Cleanliness issues. The dishes aren't done. No one wants to take claim on the dishes in the sink. Some people are uber clean freaks and others are very messy and don't give a shit. Petty bickering over stupid things. This happens more with girls who live together than guys. Music is too loud/isnt loud enough. Roommate snores and someone can't sleep.
As you can see, problems arise all over. Now, I have noticed that most of these problems occur between females. I don't know what it is, but girls seriously cannot live together. I have heard of more fights between roommates who are girls than guys. And, also, I know of a lotta girls who would rather live with guys. What can I say, we are just easier to live with, probably because we let things slide a lot easier. Obviously I'm drawing generalizations, but they are pretty well founded generalizations.
Now, from my vast experience living with people, I have a few tips in order to make living together easier. First, if you have a choice, pick people you know you get along with. This won't prevent problems from arising, but they tend to ease the solution if you are friends and are willing to work with one another to achieve the soln. That aside, there's some other solutions too. You have to be willing to compromise. Roommates need to listen to one another. When someone voices opinions or problems, others need to listen. If you blow off someone's concerns, its going to make things worse. Next, you have to be willing to compromise and not always have to have your way. If you like things sparkling clean, you have to realize that 4 or 5 ppl living together aren't going to be the cleanest ppl. However, everyone needs to make a conscious effort not to live in a pit either (especially if you have a neat freak in your apt). Finally, figure out something that you can do to make your situatuion work for you. If you need your own room, make sure you get one. If a roommate snores, go get some earplugs or something. They can't help the snoring thing.
When you live with other people, you have to grow up a little bit. You aren't going to be spoiled like you were at home. You aren't always going to get your way. So, fucking deal with it and learn to live with other people!!! And if you are in a bad living situation, where you cant deal with it...move out! It's not hard.
Oh, and if you seem to never be able to find someone you can live with (you say things like "I never have good roommates, I've had problems with everyone I've lived with"). then maybe you need to analyze yourself. B/c chances are, you are the problem!
That's all...take it for what its worth...
2 comments:
i would hate to share a room with a person who snores, that would suck- dr. brill
I would hate to live under someone who snores loud enough that I could hear it through the ceiling...that would be bad too...
Post a Comment