Food, football,
and family...the three F-words that make for an amazing holiday. These are the three F’s of Thanksgiving!
Let’s start
with FOOD! Thanksgiving is the one
holiday centered on food. The
Thanksgiving Feast is a glorious feast. You
can eat all you want without the fear of people looking at you funny for eating
so much. To hell with diets! To hell with watching what you eat. I'll watch it straight into my mouth! There's so much to choose from, turkey,
stuffing, crescent rolls, cranberry sauce, corn, peas, more turkey, gravy,
yams, potatos, dark meat, light meat, and tryptophan! MmmmmmmMMMM! Thems some good eats right there! Load up and deal with the consequences later! A later post during FOOD week will take a much closer look
at this most popular F of Thanksgiving when I post my top 10 feast items list…but
for now, lets just say that, if for no other reason, Thanksgiving is amazing
because of the delicious meal we get to partake in!
Moving on,
let’s hit up FOOTBALL! Thanksgiving is
all about FOOTBALL! The first ever football game played on Thanksgiving Day
occurred in 1876 when Yale and Princeton squared off. Of course, these days, there’s
the three NFL games on Thanksgiving. The Lions
always host the morning game (this year against the Green Bay Packers…which should
be a spectacular contest), and the Cowboys always host the afternoon game (this
year against the Raiders).
In recent years, the NFL added in a third game on Thanksgiving, previously
broadcast by the NFL Network. This is a
night game that rotates teams. This year’s game is being
broadcast by NBC (which makes sense, no one gets the NFL Network) and is the
Ravens hosting the Steelers...which will probably be a snoozer. The best football part of Thanksgiving,
though, is our annual backyard family football game. We’ve been playing this game every single
year. And, even though we are now all
fully grown and far too big for the yard, we still play every year…and still
very much look forward to it. Always a
blast!
On that
note, the third, final, and most important F of Thanksgiving is FAMILY! Thanksgiving is an entire long weekend to
spend with one’s family. This, I
believe, will be my 31st Thanksgiving. And every year of those that I can remember
has been spent in Lancaster with my dad’s side of the family. I do not get to see them very often, but I can
mark this weekend on the calendar, and I always look forward to it. Between seeing all my cousins, to getting to
spend time talking with the aunts and uncles, and, of course, seeing my
grandparents…its always a phenomenal time.
I truly cherish all the time I can spend with my family. We have a family football game every
Thanksgiving. Throughout the weekend we
will have a family movie afternoon and a family game evening. My cousins and I will play capture the flag,
or basketball, or football, or Jurassic Park Baseball (haha, don’t ask…long
story). So much tradition behind my
Thanksgiving weekend in Lancaster…its something I’ll never, ever give up.
So, there we
have it, the three F’s of Thanksgiving:
Food, Football, and Family!
Hopefully you will be enjoying all three of these next Thursday as much
as I will be!
Wednesday we will jump into that final F...Family.



No comments:
Post a Comment