My favorite
part of Thanksgiving is Family, and my second is Football…but the third F is
pretty awesome as well! It is that F I
want to focus on today, as I list out my top 10 favorite Thanksgiving feast
items! There’s so many choices
here! I mean, turkey gets all the
attention, but the side items are endless!
Peas, corn, yams, potatoes, crescent rolls, various cranberry products,
stuffing…the list goes on and on. Great,
now I’m hungry…and we still have two weeks until the feast itself. Great planning, Q!
Anyways, I’ll
go in reverse order, so I can dramatically reveal my Number 1 favorite food
item at the very end. Agree?
Disagree? Let’s hear your favorite
Thanksgiving food items in the comments!
10. Mashed
Potatoes – White potatoes are ok, albeit a little starchy. Taste wise, I can take em or leave em. I get into trouble, though, as I prefer my
white potatoes with sour cream and butter…not exactly healthy. Honestly, I can take em or leave em. I’d much rather have a different kind of
potato (as you may see later in the list).
All in all, mashed potatoes are a big time stalwart of the Thanksgiving
Dinner Table…but one I tend to partake in only a little.
9.
Gravy – It helps keep the turkey from being too dry, and definitely
helps with the mashed potatoes (it’s the only way I’ll eat the mashed potatoes
at Thanksgiving)…but otherwise, eh. As a
topping, I much prefer the next item on the list.
8. Turkey
– Here’s the big boy! The star of the
show! The turkey goes in early…6 or 7 in
the morning…and comes on out for dinner!
He is the main course of our meal…however, among the lean meats, turkey
is only a middling choice for me. Turkey
burgers are legit, but I tend to lean more chicken in other things. For thanksgiving, I’ll stick with the white
meat, please. And only a little of
it. Its usually pretty tasty, especially
with gravy on top, but with so many options floating around the
table, I tend to spare the room on my plate (and in my stomach) for some of the
items listed below.
7. Stuffing – Here’s a staple of Thanksgiving fare that is far lower on my list than it usually is on many others. I know my mom loves it (might even be her #1 favorite Thanksgiving food item). For me, its just ok. Not sure why I’ve never taken to it so much.
6. Pumpkin Bread – Not one found at my usual Thanksgiving feast, however, being as it’s a pretty traditional fall item, and also delicious, I wanted to include it. Pumpkin Bread is incredible. Its tasty, and warm, and encompasses everything about fall that is awesome. I should suggest this get added to the list. Maybe I’ll make it myself! Hmmmm…
7. Stuffing – Here’s a staple of Thanksgiving fare that is far lower on my list than it usually is on many others. I know my mom loves it (might even be her #1 favorite Thanksgiving food item). For me, its just ok. Not sure why I’ve never taken to it so much.
6. Pumpkin Bread – Not one found at my usual Thanksgiving feast, however, being as it’s a pretty traditional fall item, and also delicious, I wanted to include it. Pumpkin Bread is incredible. Its tasty, and warm, and encompasses everything about fall that is awesome. I should suggest this get added to the list. Maybe I’ll make it myself! Hmmmm…
5.
Dill pickles and Green Olives – The tray filled with the olives and
pickles and celery and carrots and whatnot is always a big hit! I personally am a big fan of the dill pickle
spears and the green olives with pimento.
It provides a good contrast to everything else I might be eating that day. Cool, crisp, and refreshing, the pickles and
olives have always been a highlight of Thanksgiving for me…especially back in
my picky eating days when I didn’t eat most of what was sent around the table.
4.
Pumpkin Pie– No Thanksgiving Feast is complete without pumpkin pie! It's sweet, with the perfect blend of spices, and delicious! I try to avoid the sweets...like, all the time...but for pumpkin pie during Thanksgiving, I will make an exception!
3.
Corn – I love corn.
Especially corn on the cob.
Actually, if my Thanksgiving had corn on the cob rather than just corn
out of a can, this would probably challenge for number 1. As it is, three is pretty good. Corn just has that deliciously sweet yet
crisp taste that I cannot get enough of.
It has just enough crunch to keep my brain intrigued, and it fills you
up! In the summer, I’ll probably eat 4-5
ears of corn a week. No, really, corn is
delicious, and a staple of any Thanksgiving plate in front of me.
2.
Crescent Rolls – No Thanksgiving meal is complete without some sort
of bread or roll. My favorite just
happens to be the crescent roll! So
flaky and delicious…I could eat a whole roll of these if allowed to. Hell, I used to bake myself up an entire
dough roll of crescent rolls for myself back when I was super fat. So, maybe I’ll just stick to one or two. But seriously, they are the best! Seriously cannot get enough of them!
1.
Sweet Potatoes – Definitely my favorite of the Thanksgiving Day
fare. During the fall and winter, I tend
to eat 2-3 sweet potatoes a week. They
are a perfect side dish. They’re fairly
healthy, have loads of vitamins and nutrients, oh, right, AND THEY’RE
DELICIOUS! I just had a sweet potato
last week. It was awesome. Maybe I’ll have one tonight as well! I’ll definitely be loading them onto my plate
on Thanksgiving…It might even end up being my main course! Thanksgiving is just not right without sweet
potatoes!
So, there it
is, my top 10. All of which I get to eat
on Thanksgiving, except the Pumpkin Bread.
It really is quite the feast. And
since we usually have 20 or so people all around one table for the big feast, it’s
a truly special experience! This year,
since I’ll be coming off a 3 month training session for my half marathon (which
I run this Sunday…just 4 days before the big feast), I think I’ll be able to
partake in the feast without guilt!
Cheers…and
let’s eat!


No comments:
Post a Comment