May 22, 2013

The Inevitability of Cancer

I will die from cancer someday.

This may seem like an extreme statement.  But if you actually sit and think about it, I'm not sure it is.  Actually, I think a statement like that is more likely to be correct than any other statement about my demise I could make.  I swear, at times, it seems like an inevitability.  I got a call today that my grandma was diagnosed with bladder cancer today.  Just another in a growing list of people very close to me to have been affected by some form of cancer:

  • Chris Piccardo
  • Grandpa Leslie
  • My mom
  • DPG
  • Grandma Leslie
And I'm sure many others.  But those are the closest ones.  And it kinda sucks.  Chris, my grandpa, and DPG are no longer with us.  Thankfully my mom is fine...but that was a serious scare (at least for me).  Everyone seems very optimistic about my grandma.  They think they caught it very early, that it should be very treatable.  Maybe even just surgery...possibly just localized radiation afterwards.  We will see.  But still kinda scary.  I'm a little concerned.  Her surgery is scheduled for June 6, I believe...so anyone reading this, keep my grandma in your thoughts and send her good healing vibes.  She'll appreciate it!

So that sucks...and I guess I'm kind of feeling like cancer seems inevitable.  We've yet to figure out how to cure it, or how to stop our cells from mutating into cancerous cells...and the rate at which people are getting cancer seems to be increasing.  Or maybe I'm just projecting my list onto the rest of the world.  I dunno.

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure where I wanted to go with this post.  I just needed to get some thoughts out on my grandma's diagnosis and how absurd it is that cancer keeps popping up everywhere I look.  So thoughts and good vibes to grandma.  I'll have to go visit her after my Mt. Whitney trip...make sure her surgery went well and whatnot.

Be a good person, cherish the ones you love, and get checked out at the doctor if things feel off.  Cancer is much more treatable if caught early.  My mom's was caught super early and they were able to get it out and she's cancer free with no radiation or chemo required.  My grandma's was caught early, and they should be able to similarly deal with it.

...but I'll still be nervous until its handled.  I love my grandma.  Sucks she has to go through this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that, buddy! I'll be sure to send good vibes her way...

Jason