November 01, 2012

Welcome to Thanksgiving Season!


IT’S HERE!  IT’S FINALLY HERE!  With the passing of Halloween, and the turning of my calendar to November, its officially Thanksgiving season!  HOORAY!!!

Despite what department stores and television advertisers may lead you to believe, it is NOT Christmastime yet.  It is Thanksgiving, a most glorious, and yet mostly overlooked holiday.  This year, on this very blog, I plan to take a page out of my own book, and have a series of Thanksgiving themed posts…much like I do for Christmas (The 12 Days of Patmas are always loads of fun).  I figured, if I can pump out 12+ posts about Christmas, and its not even in my top 3 favorite holidays, then I can certainly do something similar for Thanksgiving!

So, this year, we will have The Thanksgiving Nine…Nine posts, presented in groups of three, spanning the next three weeks before Thanksgiving.  I will post every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and each post will be related to Thanksgiving in some way.  On top of that, each three pack of posts will have a weekly theme.  The rough schedule is as follows.

Week 1:  The History and Creation of Thanksgiving

Nov. 5:  Story of the First Thanksgiving
Nov. 7:  The Creation of a National Holiday
Nov. 9:  The Forgotten Holiday

Week 2:  The Customs and Traditions of Thanksgiving

Nov. 12:  The Three F’s of Thanksgiving
Nov. 14:  Q’s Top 10 Thanksgiving Food Items
Nov. 16:  The Best Thanksgiving Specials

Week 3:  The Week of Thanksgiving

Nov. 19:  Turkey Trots and Other Amusing Traditions
Nov. 21:  The Infamous “Busiest Travel Day of the Year”
Nov. 22:  What I Am Most Thankful For This Year

Hopefully this will be as fun for you to read as it will be for me to write and post.  Thanksgiving gets a bad rap…its continuously overlooked and forgotten, or laughed off as the official start of shopping season!  But it’s such an important holiday, with such great ideals!  A day where you celebrate family and remember those things you are thankful for really ought to be a bigger deal.

So, in my own small way, I’m making it a bigger deal.  Welcome to The Thanksgiving Nine!

Gobble Gobble!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Patmas' is always a fun read; looking forward to the new series!

-Jason

Sue Quinn said...

Yay! This will be great. I might share some of it with my students.