Today is the
busiest travel day of the year! Well, not really. It's not even in the top 20. Most of the busiest travel days of the year occur during the summer as families head out on vacation. But, this is a popular myth, so I'll run with it! Still, today is
the day when millions upon millions of Americans hit the road…heading home,
heading to see family, heading anywhere, to go spend the Thanksgiving weekend
somewhere special! Whether by air or by
land, if you’re headed somewhere today, you will not likely be alone!
Personally,
the only travel I will be doing today will be my drive from Campbell to Morgan
Hill as soon as I bail from work (probably after lunch). That’s it.
My family and I will leave from there tomorrow morning for
Lancaster. Why? Because a) we’re all morning people, and b)
driving Wednesday afternoon/evening on Highway 5 is just incredibly
insane. No thanks. We’ll just hit the road tomorrow morning at
4:30 am. It’ll still be busy, but not nearly
as insane as leaving Wednesday!
However, for
those of you travelling today (maybe you are reading this on your mobile device
from the airport, or while stuck in traffic), here’s some statistics for you
about today!
Experts are expecting 3.4 million people to fly over the Thanksgiving holiday this year!
The top 10
busiest airports today will be:
1. Los
Angeles International
2. Chicago
O'Hare International
3. Orlando
International
4. San
Francisco International
5. Boston
Logan International
6. New York
LaGuardia
7. Denver
International
8. John F.
Kennedy International
9. Newark
Liberty International
10.
Seattle-Tacoma International
Of course, if
you are from the Bay Area, you could always just fly out of San Jose…Mineta San
Jose International Airport is the #1 least busy airport for Thanksgiving! Bad for SJC, but good for us in the South
Bay!
Avoiding the
airports? AAA expects that 90 percent of
those traveling today will be on the road with 38.2 million Americans traveling
by automobile.
The top 10 most
congested highways today are expected to be:
1. The I-95 Corridor - Interstate 95 from New York City to
Washington, D.C.
Bad weather
is not uncommon along this corridor during Thanksgiving week. In 2006, a strong
Nor'easter moved through two days before Thanksgiving that brought damaging
winds, coastal flooding and snarled holiday travel from the Carolinas to
southern New England. Some experts estimate that this 225-mile trek is the
slowest stretch of highway nationwide during the holiday season.
2. Boston - Westbound Massachusetts Turnpike from downtown Boston to Interstate 84
in Sturbridge
This stretch
of road is only 56 miles long and should, theoretically, be driven in about an
hour. However, because this is the main route connecting Boston to the rest of
the Eastern seaboard, it has been known to come to a virtual standstill.
3. Chicago - Borman Expressway I-80/I-94, the Tri-State Tollway
This is the
trifecta of traffic tie-ups because it is the intersection of three heavily
traveled roads. What makes it even worse for holiday travelers are the big rigs
that travel through these tollways. In
September 2008, all lanes of the tollway were closed when the Little Calumet
River flooded. Torrential rains from Hurricane Ike reportedly caused a levee
breach and puts parts of the roadway under five feet of water.
4. New York City - Throgs Neck Bridge and Whitestone Bridge
These two
bridges are key choke points when traveling from the New York City area to
Connecticut or Long Island. The Throgs Neck Bridge, the "newest
bridge," was built back in 1961 to help relieve traffic on the adjacent
Whitestone Bridge, and it has long been overrun with traffic jams.
5. San Francisco - Eastbound Interstate 80 to Sacramento and Tahoe
In San
Francisco, thousands use Thanksgiving as an excuse to flee the city and get the
first taste of winter weather. The down side is that they all take Interstate
80 to get to the ski resorts around Lake Tahoe.
This trek only worsens with a dash of winter weather, such as the major
winter storm that hit this past weekend.
6. Atlanta - Interstate 285 in both directions between I-75 and I-85
Home to six
major interstates, Atlanta is a major checkpoint for driving destinations
across the Southeast. Interstate 285 is the busiest of Atlanta's interstates
with an astounding two million daily drivers - mix in holiday travelers and
shoppers and frustration will be cooking in Atlanta.
7. Washington, D.C. - Interstate 495 from Merrifield, Va., to
Landover, Md.
The Beltway,
as I-495 is called, encircles the nation's capital city, and locals joke that
its rush hour is 24 hours a day. Only spanning 30 miles, this stretch can
easily take hours to traverse and is at its worst at Thanksgiving.
8.
Dallas - Interstate 35
3.5 million
people make this particular stretch of road a travel headache. According to
officials at the Texas DOT, half of Dallas metro residents live along a 50-mile
stretch of I-35 who hit the roads en masse during the holidays.
9. Detroit - Northbound US-23 and Northbound I-75 Merge
This stretch
of road near Flint, Mich., attracts people fleeing to the beautiful northern
Michigan forests for turkey and fun. Cabin owners, resort seekers and deer
hunters flock north from Detroit, Indiana, Ohio, and even Chicago.
10. Miami - The Palmetto Expressway near Miami International Airport
The Palmetto
Expressway is one of the most heavily traveled roads in the Miami area, which
particularly gets backed up from Okeechobee Road to south of the Dolphin
Expressway. Adding travelers flying into and driving from Miami can create a
travel nightmare. Luckily, they will
enjoy warm spring-like temperatures along the drive.
That’s based
on a number of factors, including being a junction for many routes, millions of
people, and it takes weather into account as well. If we just look at average number of cars per
day, the following highways take the cake!
1. Los
Angeles I-405
2. Atlanta
I-75
3. Houston
US 59
4. Chicago
I-90
5. Seattle
I-5
6. San
Francisco I-80
7. New York
I-95
8. San Diego
I-15
9. Phoenix
I-10
10. Miami
I-95
And, I can
tell you from experience that I-5 through the Central Valley can get rather
congested too. And if that’s not in the
top 10, I’m staying far, far away from those highways that are!
So, whether
travelling by air or by land, you will be joined today by millions and millions
of your neighbors! Just accept it, stay
safe, stay calm, and throw on some good music!
You’ll all get to where you are going soon!
And with
that, the Thanksgiving Nine is almost complete.
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and I will be hitting the road to Lancaster
for yet another glorious weekend with my family! I simply cannot wait! The Thanksgiving Nine concludes tomorrow with
a special Thanksgiving Day post!
Safe
Travels!



No comments:
Post a Comment