So, I don’t
get to vote for the Hall of Fame. But I
definitely should! I've watched baseball
my entire life. I've played baseball for
many years in the past. I've followed
the ins and outs of baseball for as long as I can remember. I know the sport inside and out. I can make a far more informed opinion on
most players than many of the actual voters can.
So, screw
it, I’m casting my vote right here on the blog!
Players must have been out of baseball for at least 5 years to be on the
ballot. To stay on the ballot, you have
to receive at least 5% of the vote the previous year…otherwise you are
dropped. You are on the ballot for a max
of 15 years, and you have to get 75% of the total vote to make it into the Hall
of Fame. Voters can vote for as few as
0 and as many as 10 players on the ballot to make the hall of fame!
Since I get
up to 10 votes, I decided to use them. I
found 10 players I think are worthy of induction into baseball’s hall of fame
this year. They are:
1. Barry Bonds
2. Mark McGwire
3. Sammy Sosa
4. Roger Clemens
5. Mike Piazza
6. Curt Schilling
7. Craig Biggio
8. Rafael Palmeiro
9. Jeff Bagwell
10. Edgar Martinez
Notice a
theme? Yes! This is the year that most of the prominent
steroid era figures are up for the vote!
And, as you can see, I don’t seem to give a shit…I want them all
in. Why, you might ask? Well, its simple. Baseball is a game of eras. You have the deadball era, when hitting
numbers were suppressed and pitching numbers were obscene. And yet, the best players of this era got
in. You had the golden era, where the
Yankees were awesome. And the best
players of this era got in. You had the
uppers and greenies era…and the best players of that era got in. And now we have the steroid era. I think the best players from this era should
get in.
Listen,
these guys hold the records…those records are not being erased. Those games are not being erased. McGwire’s and Sosa’s HR race electrified
baseball and brought the sport back from the brink of death following the 1994
strike. Barry Bonds is literally the
best hitter I've ever seen live. His
hands were so fast, and his eye so keen.
Even before the roids, he was a legit hall of famer. Roger Clemens and Curt Schilling were
fireballing, strike throwing machines. Rafael
Palmeiro is one of only 4 players in history to have over 3,000 hits and 500
HRs. The others? Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, and Eddie
Murray. That’s elite company. They are, by far, the best this era has to
offer.
The other
guys on my list are not necessarily connected to roids (although, you certainly
cannot rule them out). Biggio is one of
the greatest second basemen to ever play the game…3,000+ hits and was a good
fielder too. Bagwell was a legit power
and average guy…with a career OPS+ of 149 (100 being average). That’s elite.
And Edgar Martinez is unfairly hurt for being primarily a DH, and not
having to play defense. But he’s the
greatest pure DH of all time. And he hit
the snot out of the ball, to the tune of a .312 career average and 147 OPS+.
These
players are all among the best players this sport has ever seen. And they were far and away the best players
of their era. Players who have tested
positive for steroids from this era include Alex Sanchez, Jason Grimsley, J.C.
Romero, Juan Rincon, Matt Lawton, Mike Cameron, Jose Guillen…you get the
picture. Not exactly good players. Everyone was using steroids…not everyone hit
762 home runs, or put up absurd strikeout numbers, or dual-handedly revived the
sport.
Whether
baseball wants to admit it or not, the steroid era happened. It not only happened, but was silently
endorsed by the league when those Home Runs were busy saving the sport from its
self-inflicted wounds. It brought people
back to the ballparks in record numbers…numbers that continue to grow to this
day. Baseball needs to recognize the
best players of this era and put them in the Hall of Fame. Otherwise, the Hall of Fame will no longer be
a shrine to the best players in baseball history. It will lose its relevancy as an authority on
the history of the game.

No comments:
Post a Comment