Well, I
haven’t been posting anything new recently, so I thought I’d come back with a
quick TMQ this morning to give a quick little update on what’s been up with me,
what’s ahead, and my thoughts on various worldly topics. Enjoy!
Running!
My life has
been pretty mundane lately. It’s been
all work, go home, run, work out, watch food, monitor caloric intake, go to bed…rinse,
repeat. A simple life, but one with a
clear goal in mind. This coming Saturday
I will run either 12 or 13 miles (haven’t decided yet…leaning towards 13) in my
final long training run before my half marathon. I just did 11 miles this past Saturday, and
finished in just over 90 minutes. If I
can hold up an 8.5 minute per mile pace over the 13 mile training run, I should
be in good shape for the half marathon.
The other
half of all this is the getting my body in shape. I mean, I’d love to use this running as a
chance to cut some more weight before Thanksgiving (and I’ve been doing just
that)…but I also feel like the less weight I have on my frame, the better it
will be for me during a long run. Even
10, 15 pounds less is less pounding on my joints…which should lead to less
injury, fatigue, and joint pain. All in
all, this seems like a good thing! Since
I started cutting calories to go with my running, I’ve lost 6-8 pounds
(depending on the day). A good start…but
I’ll need to keep it up. If everything
goes according to plan, I should cruise into the half marathon at a good
fighting weight, put up a respectable time, and then be able to take a full
week off from everything and just enjoy Thanksgiving!
Better keep
up the hard work!
Halloween!
Halloween is
not among my top favorite holidays (My top 3 are Thanksgiving, New Years Eve,
and Independence Day…in some order), but it is a fun one…and a chance to get
dressed up in costume and go to parties.
I’ve never been a big dress up guy.
My costume has always been whatever I’ve decided would be easiest to
pull off based on what I had lying around.
My favorite costume from a few years ago was just wearing normal clothes
and putting on one of those “Hello my name is…” stickers and filling in the
name Dave. Easy. This year I ended up going slightly more elaborate,
and put together a Boondock Saints costume.
Being as I already had the black peacoat, the jeans, some black shoes,
and a usable shirt, all I needed to procure was some black sunglasses, a fake
gun and a rosary to wear. The black
sunglasses were easy…Target, done. The rosary
took some thinking, but I ended up going over to the local Catholic
church. They have a gift shop there, so
finding a rosary was simple at that point.
The gun was much more difficult.
Struck out at all toy stores, and at all Halloween Costume stores…but eventually
found the perfect gun at Big 5…a Beretta model airsoft gun. Excellent!
The costume came off pretty well…I mean, if you had seen the movie, then
you’d be able to figure out what I’m going for.
This past
weekend it debuted at Sean and Christen’s Halloween party. This was, of course, a great time. Always good to see Sean…and with Jason and
Crystal, Craig and Jessica, Stephen, Greg, Nathan, Heather all there (among
others), it’s a fun group to hang out with!
This coming weekend I will head
down to Gilroy where Seth and Gina are hosting a Halloween Party as well. So, I’ll get ample use out of my
costume!
Not sure
what I’ll do for Halloween itself. Being
as it’s a Wednesday, not sure there will be much to do. Also, its very possible that it could be
raining. Ick.
Niners!
The San
Francisco 49ers have won back to back games since their embarrassing loss to
the New York Giants. These two games
were against division foes Seattle and Arizona.
And, once again, the Niners appear to be asserting their dominance over
a rather pedestrian division. They
currently sit at 6-2, a two game lead over the rest of the division, with a 2-0
division record, heading into their bye week.
Not too shabby. However, we all
expected this. It’ll be how this team
fares in the postseason that tells us how successful this season was.
So, does
this Niners team have what it takes to win the Super Bowl? Not sure yet.
They might! Their defense has
been pretty solid overall…giving up less than 13 points per game on the season,
tops in the league! Their pass rush
seems to be rounding into form, which is helping out their shaky secondary
(their weak spot). The Niners defense
will still have massive issues stopping teams with a good O line and an elite
QB…which will be an issue if they have to get through the Giants in the
postseason again. Eli seems to have
their number. On offense, I’m still not sold
on Alex Smith. He is a fine game
manager. He can make the easy throws,
usually, and can take care of a lead.
But if we get behind, there’s no chance he’s bringing us back. And this is an issue. You can’t always count on always having an
early lead. Sometimes you need your QB
to lead your team and put up points!
Both losses this year the Niners have fallen behind by more than one
score early, the game was put into Alex’s hands, and he could not execute. He’d throw picks, he’d make stupid decisions…he’s
just not very good. So, the offense
still worries me…but we do have the best offensive line in football, and a
phenomenal running game, and very capable receiving options. So, if the Niners defense can keep us in every
game (and it can), then the Niners should continue their winning ways.
Hopefully
the offense gets better between now and the playoffs, though…
Football!
Here’s my
top 10 teams in the league, in order.
Think of it as my own, personal Power Rankings. But I’m only going to go 10 deep.
1. Atlanta Falcons
2. New York Giants
3. Houston Texans
4. San Francisco 49ers
5. Chicago Bears
6. Denver Broncos
7. Baltimore Ravens
8. Green Bay Packers
9. New England Patriots
10. Indianapolis Colts
Note how NFC
heavy the top of this is. Also note the
Colts…last year’s worst team. They’ve
been playing surprisingly well lately.
Andrew Luck, unsurprisingly, looks like the real deal. Kind of a fun story! Be cool if they could keep it up and make the
playoffs! We will see…their defense will
be their undoing in the end, I suspect.
Baseball…
Baseball
sucks. I hate everything about it.
Hockey…
Hockey sucks
too, but for different reasons. Thanks a
lot, Bettman.
Upcoming Events!
I’ll finish
with a rundown of a few upcoming events.
First, the half marathon is on November 18th in
Monterey. I think the race starts at 7am…ugh. Although, being as I’m becoming more and more
of a morning person, maybe this is a good thing! After that, I’ll be spending Thanksgiving
down in Lancaster with the family, per usual.
Really, really looking forward to that one. Always do!
After that it’s a sprint til Christmas, followed by New Years in New
Orleans! The holidays are here! Time to get in the spirit!
That’s all
for now! Cheers!
1 comment:
Hehehehe... baseball..... LOL
Post a Comment