Happy October! Cannot believe its already October. Ridiculous. Let's start off this glorious month with a fun post! Here’s 5 guilty pleasures of
mine…things that I enjoy, partake in, etc. that are, ahem, out of my normal
personality. Feel free to mock away!
1. WWE Wrestling – I’ve been a pro wrestling fan
for a while now. Some of my favorite
memories of high school was getting together with the Piccardo family on
Thursday Nights (back when Smackdown was on Thursdays) for dinner and
wrestling. Chris in his blue robe, Tony
and I doing some pre-dinner weight lifting, Sue making a delicious meal, and
Dave coming in and laughing at us…but still clearly enjoying the show as
well. We’d get together for Wrestlemania
every year as well. After Chris passed
away, we continued the Wrestlemania tradition for a while…and still will if we
ever are all free for it again (I was out of town this year for it). But yeah, I still watch RAW every Monday…I
watch Smackdown on Fridays when I’m home (softball interferes a lot). I’ve found Cageside Seats on SB Nation and
talk wrestling on that blog with other fans.
Its fun! I know its fake, and
completely ridiculous…but I still enjoy it.
2. The O.C. – I came by watching this show
completely by accident. I was channel
surfing one summer afternoon, nothing to do, and came across a marathon replay
of the first 7 episodes of The O.C.
Basically, The O.C. started its first season over the summer, kind of
like a tester, and then continued in the fall once it was decided it was worth
picking up. Right before the fall
premier, the network aired all 7 episodes in marathon format one
afternoon. I came in on episode 4, about
half way into the episode, saw some hot chicks, then some dudes punching each
other, and enjoyed it! So I went and
found the first few episodes, watched the Pilot, and was hooked. Not sure why this particular 20-something
evening soap opera appealed to me so much…the characters, the story lines, the
humor…it all was highly entertaining to me!
So for four years, I watched every episode until it was cancelled. I still have all 4 seasons, and rewatch the
series every now and then. Yup, I watch
a soap opera. But it was a damn
entertaining one!
3. Fruity Rummy Drinks – Sweet, fruity drinks
are not for men! They are for girls
while their guy drinks a beer or 12.
Sorry, don’t like beer. But
nothing is better than a delicious Mai Tai or Tidal Wave! Yeah, I’ll be the guy at the sports bar
watching a football game with the drink that has a little umbrella in it. What of it!
They’re delicious! And they get
me buzzed! Woo!
4. Nickelback – OK, I admit it, I like
Nickelback. I enjoy their music! As a matter of fact, I have literally no idea
why everyone hates them so much…and why they are so widely mocked. I mean, its fine to not enjoy music for whatever
reason…but Nickelback is widely mocked.
They’ve become a huge punchline…and I have no idea why. I dig em.
I enjoy their simple rock songs about strippers and/or fighting. I don’t mind that every single song is about
drugs and whores and sex. I listen to
music more for the sound anyways…and I enjoy their hard rocking sound. So you guys can all make fun of them all you
want…if you roll with me in my car, chances are you’ll hear a Nickelback song
or two on my mix CDs or playlist shuffle!
5. Los Angeles Lakers – You know, I’m a fan of
the A’s and Dodgers in baseball…a smallest of small market teams, and, until
recently, a mid-payroll team. I’ve
always hated the Yankees and Red Sox…and then the Angels…for buying their teams
and trying to buy titles. I’m a fan of
the Niners…and have always hated the media favorites Dallas Cowboys and Green
Bay Packers. I’m a fan of the Sharks…and
have an EXTREME dislike of the media favored Detroit Red Wings or the teams in
Canada. Basically, I’ve always been a
fan of the underdogs, the more unpopular teams, the small market up and
comers. But in basketball…to hell with
going against popular opinion! To hell
with cheering for the underdogs! I’m a
Los Angeles Lakers fan! The Lakers are
the Yankees of the NBA. They can afford
to go well over the cap to sign players.
They are such a popular destination and brand that top players always
want to go there. They dominate most
seasons and have won nearly 25% of all NBA titles ever. Insane.
Not usually a team that I’d cheer for!
But, I was raised to be a Lakers fan…and thus I stay loyal! Besides,
sometimes its fun to be a front runner and cheer for the juggernaut! Although, I will be honest, their title wins
mean much less to me than an A’s or Sharks title would.





2 comments:
Excellent post. I certainly can't hate - I'm guilty of a couple of these as well.
I don't really get the Nickelback thing either. Although with 4(+?) platinum albums, I don't think we're alone in that regard.
I had always wondered why you were into the OC...
Post a Comment