At this point, I’m going to operate under the assumption that Mitt Romney will be the Republican Nominee for President. This really isn’t going too far out on a limb here…he’s comfortably ahead, and Rick Santorum is a fucking lunatic. I imagine enough people will realize this to make sure he’s not a threat to swoop in and steal the nomination. And, as much as it pains me, Ron Paul has been effectively marginalized by the mainstream media. His ideas still create followers wherever he goes…he just is too terrifying to those in power to actually give any airtime to.
So, Mitt Romney will be the one to try and unseat Barack Obama. I guess it could be worse (see: Santorum, Rick). Anyways…instead of rehashing the campaign to date, or spinning out more Ron Paul is awesome rhetoric, I figured I’d look ahead and see if I couldn’t pick out a few of the potential Vice Presidential candidates for Romney. If you will remember, last time around I nailed it with calling out Sarah Palin in my preview…calling her my preferred choice before anyone knew who she was. I still think she was a great choice for McCain…his campaign just used her completely wrong. She’s still a major force in the Republican Party. Yup, called it!
So, who’s out there this time as a potential running mate?
Rick Santorum: I have to start with Romney’s main challenger. Choosing him would, of course, be a fucking disgrace, as Rick Santorum is pure evil…however, from a political analysis standpoint, there are some reasons he could be the guy. If you buy into the “Romney needs a social conservative on the ticket” argument, somehow Santorum has positioned himself as that guy. He’s also from an important swing state in Pennsylvania…albeit one that voted him out by more than 20 points as an incumbent Senator. And he’ll have the name recognition after this campaign. So, yes, Santorum is a candidate. However, his presence on the ticket will cause me to vote for Barack Obama…so let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.
Marco Rubio: I think this is probably the most popular pick at present. Rubio is well positioned to be a very valuable choice for Romney, should he choose to go that way. He has conservative credentials, and is loved by the Tea Party. Say what you will about the Tea Party…but if Romney wants to get a giant, motivated “get out the vote” volunteer corps on his side, Rubio’s presence could help quite a bit. Rubio is also very popular in a very key swing state (Florida). His Cuban-American heritage is also a plus. And he’s young and seen as one of the futures of the Republican Party. But picking Rubio would entail risks, the most obvious being that his youth and inexperience. Another is that the details of his biography are in dispute and will be subject of dueling books (one by him) this summer. And then there are the questions around his finances, including a personal bankruptcy and a home foreclosure. Lots of red flags here could make him a difficult choice in the vetting process.
Bobby Jindal: Jindal’s conservative bona fides are impeccable, his policy-wonkish outlook meshes well with Romney, and Indian lineage would make his selection a historic first…which could be a big deal. Jindal is a very successful governor of a Southern State. He’s done very well in keeping the state’s fiscal house in order, and has handled every potential crisis quite well. By all measures, he’s been a very, very good governor. He’s also young, and potentially the future of the Republican Party as well. The one drawback is the speech he gave like a year or two ago (or was it three?) in response to the SOTU…it was lambasted by the liberal media…already on the attack to try and knock down a formidable challenger. And since people are sheep, that could hurt him. He also doesn’t bring a swing state to the table, as Louisiana will vote Republican anyways. I still think he’d be a great choice.
Susana Martinez: I’ll go off the board here and pick someone from a very key swing state in the West, who also happens to be Hispanic, and a woman…which could bring in many different electoral demographics. Martinez is the current governor of New Mexico, and while not widely well known, is seen as an ascendant figure in the party. Before becoming governor, she was a District Attorney in the state. Martinez is an interesting choice because of the demographics she brings to the table, but she really lacks any experience…and hasn’t been in office long enough to have really accomplished anything in office. The whole “first term female governor” thing could also lead to some issues. I say Romney passes here, but she’s an interesting name for the future either way.
Rob Portman: Here’s my frontrunner at present...Ohio Senator Rob Portman. A former congressman, U.S. trade representative, and head of the Office of Management and Budget under George W. Bush, Portman has as firm a grasp of fiscal issues as anyone in Washington. He won election to the senate in 2010, with 57 percent of the vote and carrying 82 of Ohio’s 88 counties, in what may be the most important battleground state on the map. He’s also pretty bland and boring…which would be the exact opposite of Palin, give Democrats literally nothing to latch on to and drag him down with, and exudes an aura of dependability and smarts. People would be able to believe that Romney and Portman would be smart enough to find the answers that Obama never has. Basically, there would be no question whatsoever whether Portman was qualified to be Vice President, and should he be needed, President. And that’s a big deal. He doesn’t bring in any interesting demographics, but he could deliver one of the most crucial swing states in the country…and that will count for a lot too.
So, yeah, lots of interesting choices out there. There’s even more I didn’t bring up (Chris Christie, Mitch Daniels, Brian Sandoval…), but these five I think are either going to be the most talked about, or most likely to be considered by Romney. Now, there’s still a lotta time between now and the Convention, and lots can change. But if I were to handicap it right now, Rob Portman seems like too smart a choice to pass up. And given how smart and technical and polished the Romney campaign is…it’s hard to see them passing up the smart choice for the flashy choice.
Would I vote for Romney-Portman? Not sure...depends on what Ron Paul does. But I sure as hell would prefer that ticket to Obama-Biden, that's for damn sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment