February 07, 2012

The New Workout Regimen and Other Q Tidbits

Time for one of those boring posts about what’s happening in my life and whatnot. Feel free to skip.

First off, I’ve gotten tired of waiting around for my weight loss plateau to run its course. It’s time to force the issue. If I’m going to get down to my goal weight by Hawaii, I need to get moving. So, this week, I have started the new routine that combines 4-5 mile runs with the p90x workout program. Does that sound insane to you? I dunno, seems like the next logical step to me.

Obviously the running isn’t a big deal for me. I do it all the time. The addition is that as soon as I get back from my run, I jump right into p90x. Three days a week, p90x is strength training (weights, pull-ups, etc.), and then three days a week are more core/cardio type workouts. So, the plan is to do a 4 mile run before each of the strength training workouts…so Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Then the core/cardio days, I’ll just do p90x…Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Saturday I may swap out for a longer run (5-6 miles) instead of more p90x. Or maybe I’ll do both. Sunday is the day of rest. I suspect I’ll need it.

Yesterday was my first day of this. I did a 4 mile run, followed by p90x Chest and Back. And, well, it was very interesting. The run, it turns out, was an excellent way to warm up for the workout. And the workout was well paced. I mean, my upper body was spent by the end of it, but I felt good! Seemed like a good combination.

After the workout, I took a shower then made myself dinner…and by the time I was done eating dinner, I was all recovered and had tons of energy. I felt like I could have run another 3 miles right then. Instead I went grocery shopping and then played video games for a few hours…but the point remains that I wasn’t dead. I had all this energy to burn. Which is an interesting development. We’ll see how it continues as I move past Day 1, Week 1. I’m sure I’ll start to tire.

Adding to this will be softball. I’m currently playing on a team that plays on Friday nights. And in a few weeks, I’ll be adding in a team that plays on Wednesday nights. So on those days, the plan would be to run 4 miles, do p90x, and play softball…I suspect that could help burn off the excess energy.

I’m pretty stoked to be playing slow pitch softball again. I really have missed it since graduating college and not having the IM program at my disposal. So far my bat is finally starting to come around. Playing two days a week will certainly help that continue. I’m getting good contact, just still slightly under it. Need to drive through the ball so I’m not flying out to deep outfield anymore, and instead roping liners to the wall. Much more useful.

So, I have the new workout to reach the goal weight, and the softball games…what else am I up to? Well, work is in there. Keeping busy enough, I guess.

My first trip of the year is less than three weeks away now. February 24th I’ll jump on a plane for St. Paul, MN to see the area and watch the Sharks. So, yeah, looking forward to that. Never been to Minnesota before, so it will be a new experience. I suspect it will be super cold out there…so I’ll have to figure out how to keep myself warm. I’m also planning on checking out the Mall of America. I hear its rather large. Being as I’ve been super antsy lately, I feel like getting out of town on a trip to somewhere new will be useful.

Oh, I got a Diablo III beta key to be a beta tester for Blizzard’s new game. So I’ve been playing some of that. The beta test is very limited, content wise. I’ve already finished the beta storyline once through with one class of character. There’s four other classes to test out, though. And I can keep playing my characters up to level 13, which I should test out as well. Even with the limited test, I’m really enjoying myself. I’d been looking forward to Diablo III quite a bit, so getting a chance to play even a sliver of the content months before release is pretty cool.

Nothing else of note really going on over here…I mean, nothing I really care to write about. My other eccentricities and day to day meanderings can stay on the one to one level of conversation. Oh, I guess I’m still not sleeping particularly well. Maybe I’ve just decided at this point that I can’t sleep more than 4-5 hours a night anyways (even on weekend, with no alarm set, I’ll wake up after 6-7 hours…and 7 is a stretch), so I might as well do a bunch of things to occupy my time. I still have far too much downtime overall, but I’m slowly filling it up with things.

That’s it for now. Cheers!

No comments: