February 14, 2012

Happy VD!

So, I have an ax to grind here. And, yes, it relates to this wonderful holiday we are currently celebrating (or not celebrating, should you be so disinclined). But, this is probably not the rant you all expect me to go on. Actually, in the past, I believe I may have been rather hostile towards Valentine’s Day. On the blog, I’ve mostly ignored it. Actually, I pretty much ignore Valentine’s Day in general (side effect of being single for the last 10 V Days and counting…). But no more. My beef is with bitterness…and, more specifically, Singles Awareness Day.

I will admit, I have been known to be a little bitter over Valentine’s Day…and being single for it. All these couples going out and doing things together…I guess it can wear on you. But, as this is a period of transformation for me, my views on many things have changed…including my views of this holiday. And, I’ve decided, bitterness solves nothing. Those who call this holiday Singles Awareness Day are missing the point of the holiday entirely. They are also missing out on the advantages of BEING SINGLE on this day.

First, Valentine’s Day is not solely a couples day. Yes, it sets up nicely as a day when couples can show their love for one another and whatnot…but its mostly just a day about love. I may not have a girlfriend, but I have people in my life that I love…and they probably love me back. It’s not a romantic love…but most love in life isn’t! The majority of love in this world is non-romantic love! That seems like it should be celebrated on this day as well. I love my family, I love my friends. And today is a day where, while I might not buy them flowers and shower them with gifts, I can call them up and tell them I love them and appreciate them. That seems kind of nice. I guess, in general, I’ve come to appreciate this as a holiday that celebrates all kinds of love, and not specifically the romantic love shared between two people.

Being bitter that you are single accomplishes nothing…other than giving you an excuse to have a bad day. If you wake up bitter, and get irritated when your friends who are lucky enough to be in nice relationships get flowers or whatnot, and spend the whole day upset that you are single…not gonna lie, your day is going to really suck. And you’ve done it all to yourself! Why would anyone actively CHOOSE to give themselves a bad day? Instead of focusing on what you don’t have, focus on what you do have! Even if that means sharing a meal with your friend, your mom, or your beloved cat (Hi Odin!).

Finally, being single on Valentine’s Day has some pretty sweet financial advantages. No overpriced dinners. No presents. No flowers. No chocolates. No time commitments. You know what I’m going to do today? I’m going to finish out my work day. Then go home and work out (today is p90x Plyometrics…joy). Then I’m going to cook myself dinner, from ingredients in my house (today is a tomato soup and tortellini kind of day). That all sounds rather fiscally responsible, as well as rather healthy. I’ll end the day with the exact amount of money I started the day with, and I’ll hopefully have burned off some calories and taken some steps towards not being super fat. Sounds pretty productive to me. Would I have liked to have a date tonight? Sure! Wouldda been great! But the fact that I don’t definitely has its advantages as well.

So, the point of this whole meandering post is this…life is what it is. You can take steps to improve it for yourself. And most of those steps are mental steps. If you just choose to be happy with what you have, and work to make yourself better, then it doesn’t matter what today is. That’s really how I try to approach every day, actually. I don’t always succeed. I’m human; it happens. But I’m in a phase of self improvement, and the biggest improvement I’ve made in my life is enjoying what I have in it.

So, to everyone reading this blog, and to everyone I know, have come across in my life, and have had a positive influence on me…to my family, to my friends…whether I see/talk to you all the time, or haven’t seen you in years… Happy Valentine’s Day! I love and appreciate you all!

<3!

4 comments:

Julie said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Pat! And yay for nonbitterness!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!! LOVE YOU TOO!!!!! Also, tomato soup and tortellini mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nommy...<3 - C

Jason said...

Great post! Happy valentines day buddy! Enjoy plyo :-P

Anonymous said...

Real good post, man. Great message we can all apply beyond the day too. Thanks!

- Sameer