August 10, 2011

The Epicness of 500

So, in my lack of writing, it turns out my 500th career blog post has been up for quite some time now. The 500th post of my blogging career was the post about the Casey Anthony verdict. Solid piece, IMO…but not exactly the gala affair I had promised or expected. But, hey, I’m getting old! I forget things!

That being said, it’s time to celebrate a long and distinguished blogging career. Welcome to the most epic 502nd Blog Post Celebration you have ever witnessed!


I started my blog on November 3, 2004, which makes my blog 6 years, 10 months, and 1 week old…or in blog years, like 256. So, yeah, I’ve been at this a while. Sometimes I had a lot to say (see: 2009 and 2010). And other times, I just ran out of things to say (see: this year). But throughout it all, I’ve had one goal in mind for this blog…to entertain myself. And, in that, I have succeeded.

In the past, I have celebrated Milestone Blog Posts in different ways. Back in 2008, for the 200th, I posted the 200th Blog Post Spectacular, in which I ran down my blogging career to date, with highlights from the first 199 posts. Almost exactly a year later, 300 came out, where I turned my blog over to some of my most loyal readers and let them rant in my place (that’s probably my favorite blog of all time). I skimmed over the 400th blog post with just a brief mention in something I was already writing: “Oh, and this happens to be the 400th post of my blogging career! Not too shabby. Nothing special this time around...I'll save that for the 500th post!” And then the 500th post came and went without me noticing. Clearly I’m falling behind on my celebrations.

So, let’s get on it! However, to celebrate my 500+ blog posts, I’m not exactly sure what to do. Is this a black tie affair?


Should I just hold an epic party full of sex and booze?


Wait, I got it! Dancing kitties!


500 is an epic number. I mean, it’s a staggering number of posts. Especially for a blog that’s mostly personal, and isn’t really about anything useful. I get bored of things easily, so to get to this number is pretty insane. The Simpsons has been on for 20 years and has yet to get to 500 episodes (they’re close, though). Although, trash like Ricki Lake and Montel Williams lasted well over 500 shows…so maybe 500 isn’t that big of a deal. In baseball, 500 Home Runs used to be the gold standard of power. But then the steroids era hit, and it lost its luster. Now it’s all about 600 Home Runs. I’m not there yet.

Of course, now I’m thinking that this blog might be the most egocentric thing I’ve ever done. I mean, 500 posts, over half of which deal with me and only me…and the others about my thoughts on things. And I assume people want to read this stuff? How self centered can I be??? Although, I’ve never assumed that people want to read any of this stuff…so maybe that saves me from being too self-absorbed.

500 blog posts, over 250 of which have come since I started working after college, is probably a serious referendum on my job situation as well. I mean, if I actually had enough work to fill the entire day every day, I’d go mad…but I’d also not have enough time to write nearly as much as I have. Ah well, not complaining.

So here we stand, 502 blog posts into The Midnight Q Lounge (and the many other names it’s had), and I must decide…where do I go from here? Where do I go? To the moon and back, baby! I’m going to keep ranting and raving away until the cows come home. I’m going to make fun of everything and everyone. I’m going to rail against the government while also spewing off hard line republican ideals as facts. I’ll contradict myself and then yell at you for calling me out on it…you short-sighted neophyte. I’m going to get to 1000 blog posts someday, and when I do, I’ll throw a real party…for my blog that no one reads…and it will be amazing. And everyone will look up at me in awe, just flabbergasted by my talent and lasting power. My 1000th post will probably also be the one to cure cancer…I’m just working out the last details on that one. It will be glorious indeed.

…or maybe this has all just been a dream. Wouldn’t that suck?

So, how should I celebrate 500 posts? How about 800 words of rambling, a few pictures, and a flashing 500! Sounds good to me!


Thanks for sticking with me over the years!

5 comments:

Dustin said...

Your post made me go and count how many I have... 292 as of today. Guess I can have a party at 300 soon! Congrats buddy ;-)

Anonymous said...

I always enjoyed the political write-ups and the general ranty-ness

JMB

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had forgotten the epic rage embodied in my guest rant, truly some of my best non-academic work!!!

Thanks for the forum Q!

JMB

Jason said...

Your blog has become a site that I check on a regular basis. Thanks for keeping it up!

Julie said...

Yay for dancing kitties! Also congrats on the big 5-0-0. Keep writing and we'll keep reading.