November 29, 2010

MMR: Cyber Monday

So, I’ve heard of Black Friday before. We just had it, actually. But apparently today is Cyber Monday...which I had never heard of. So I went to the Google machine on the interweb and typed in the following:

“What is Cyber Monday?”
And apparently it’s important enough to have a wikipedia entry! Here’s what I got:

“Cyber Monday is a marketing term for the Monday immediately following Black Friday, the Friday following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, created by companies to persuade people to shop online. The term made its debut on November 28, 2005 in a Shop.org press release.”
OK, so a shopping site just randomly made it up a few years ago. Awesome. And this is supposed to be a big deal? After spending all my money on Black Friday, I’m supposed to come back to work and hop online and start spending more money on Cyber Monday now? Actually, apparently, yes, that’s exactly what Cyber Monday is about. From the same wikipedia article:

“In 2009, comScore reported that online spending increased 5 percent on Cyber Monday to $887 Million and that more than half of dollars spent online at U.S. Web sites originated from work computers (52.7 percent)”
So, yes, I was right. This is a day for everyone who just spent all their money over the weekend to come back into work and shop some more. Awesome.

Why don’t we just add in “Let’s go Broke Tuesday,” and “I’m in Debt Up To My Eyeballs Thursday” this year! Hell, we could spend money every day of the week! And don’t forget “Holy Shit! It’s the day before Christmas and I forgot someone” Day. Oh, wait, that one already exists…it’s among my favorites!

I guess this is just additional, sad proof about how Christmas has become a completely commercialized holiday that’s sole purpose is to part me with my money; just as Thanksgiving Weekend is known more for Black Friday than it is for the actual holiday itself.

Anyways, just a quick rant today, I need to go shopping online from work before it's too late. THERE'S DEALS OUT THERE TO BE HAD, YOU KNOW!!!

No comments: