Tomorrow night LeBron James will have his own one hour special to announce which team he will grace with his services and take $100 million from. Yes, he's having a one hour ESPN Special (now titled "The Decision") to tell everyone who he is signing with in Free Agency. If this isn't the biggest obsession with oneself in the history of sports, I'd be shocked. Talk about illusions of grandeur and power. He's having a one hour special about himself. I mean, how long does it take to say: "I'm signing with the New Jersey Nets"? What the hell are they going to do with the rest of the hour? LeBron highlights? The should show the highlight of him and his team quitting in the final game of their series against Boston. And people care where this quitter goes? Wow...
This has set off quite the storm in the blogosphere and elsewhere. First, Orlando Magic coach Stan VanGundy had this to say:
It’s gotten ridiculous I think. It’s really I mean it’s almost like a parody of itself this whole situation now. Come on, an hour long? It takes 15 seconds to say I’ve decided to stay in Cleveland but we’ve got another 59 minutes and 45 seconds to, what? Promote LeBron James? As if we don’t do that enough. Look, the guy’s a great player and wherever he goes, my bet would be Cleveland, that place will be excited. But an hour long special?He's right, it is ridiculous.
Then read this article by Yahoo Sports's Adrian Wojnarowski: State of LeBron: Live at 9, from his ego. Scathing, but right on point again.
The Twitterverse has taken a more lighthearted tone of the whole thing. Some highlights:
@KenTremendous (writer for The Office): Thinking about petting my cat. Will announce my decision at 7 PM EST (6 Central) on Telefutura West HD (DirecTV 408).
@wyshinski (main blogger for Yahoo Sports's Puck Daddy): LeBron James was going to announce decision on ESPN Classic, but was concerned about Baron von Raschke run-in/claw hold.
@KenTremendous (again, he's been on point today): Dropped a pencil. Will announce whether I pick it up tonight at 9/8 Central on Smithsonian HD. All proceeds go to my cat.
Anyways, this whole thing seems pretty over the top and ridiculous. It's all being staged to fuel the LeBron James "brand" (aka, ego). He's stated his goal is to become a billionaire, and I guess this will help. Just do me a favor and stay away from the Lakers. We're in the business of winning Championships!
No comments:
Post a Comment