September 08, 2009

(T)MMR: Odds 'n Ends

The Mainstream Media: Out to Scare the Shit Out of You!

I'm getting pretty tired of all the extreme sensationalism in the news these days. Don't even get me started on how the media felt the need to pick our last president by only reporting negatively about McCain and glowingly about Obama...that's another argument for another time.

But just the way news is reported these days, its absurd.

Front page story on FoxNews right now (and this pains me to point out something with FoxNews, but its the only news site I read anymore because I can't take the liberal drivel everywhere else...): FRED ON DECK! With a picture of a satellite of the caribbean and Florida...and Tropical Storm Fred is NO WHERE TO BE FOUND IN THE PICTURE! You see, I had already read up on TS Fred. Its still just off the African Coast. Hella far away. Yes, it will strengthen into a Hurricane...but it is not expected to impact any land masses...at all. And yet this headline makes it sound like a massive hurricane is barreling towards the U.S. and that we're all going to die. The article didn't even mention that the storm was not expected to hit any land at all.

But those are the kinds of things you get these days with the Mainstream media. It's all about ratings and web page hits and such. The more sensational they make their headlines, the more likely you are to stick around and read what they have to say. Its bullshit. I miss when the news was just reported, as it was, without being sensationalized. I miss when news was just reported rather than reported with a partisan slant.

Sigh. I guess I'll just have to make do with what's availiable to me.

The End of an Era: Bernard Pollard cut from the Chiefs

It was a sad day this Sunday, when it was announced that my personal hero, Bernard Pollard, was let go by the Chiefs. You may remember Mr. Pollard as the safety who single handedly made Week 1 last year the most enjoyable week of the NFL season. Coming in on a safety blitz, Pollard tackled Tom Brady by the knee, ending his season, and sending waves of rejoyce around the country! Bernard Pollard shelved Brady for an entire season, and is thanked by getting cut.

I really really hope the Brady-slayer ends up signing with the Bills, Dolphins, or Jets. All those teams play the Pats twice this season, which gives Pollard 2 games instead of one to work his magic. We'll see how this unfolds, but on the off chance this mammoth of a sports legend isn't signed elsewhere, I just want to say thank you for all the good memories!

Other Notes and Tidbits

~My mommy is taking me to Disneyland for my birthday next month! I'm super excited about this!

~My truck now has a parking brake again! It also has a clean interior and exterior. Yes, that's right, its been vacuumed, scrubbed inside, and washed on the outside. The truck even shines now! So cool. Now, if I could only get the dang AC working again, itll be in pretty good shape. The truck is inching ever closer to the 200k mile mark, which would be quite the accomplishment.

~Sharks season is starting up! My first game I have tickets to is on Friday September 18th, which is only a week and a half away! Its a preseason game against the Canucks! So that should be pretty awesome. Then I'll be at opening night on Thursday the 8th of October. Yay! Go Sharks!

~It's hella time for football season to start. Tennessee and Pittsburgh on Thursday officially kicks off the regular season! Time for the Niners to dominate!


Thats all for today!

No comments: