September 30, 2009

Hockey Predictions!!!

So, I've never attempted to predict the outcome of a hockey season before. I always do preseason predictions for baseball and football, but never for hockey. This year will be different. On the eve of the 2009-2010 season, I will pick out my division winners and playoff teams, conference champs, and Cup winner. My cup winner will be wildly influenced by my home team bias. Just a warning. The other stuff might be more interesting, though!

I might also take a stab at the awards at the end. We'll see how I'm feeling.

Western Conference:

Pacific: San Jose
Northwest: Vancouver
Central: Detroit
Other 5 Playoff Teams: Chicago, Calgary, Anaheim, Los Angeles, St. Louis

Conference Champion: San Jose

People seem to be really high on Chicago this year, but Detroit is still Detroit. They'll be the team to beat in the playoffs. The West is overloaded in talent. San Jose, Detroit, Vancouver, Chicago, Calgary and Anaheim could all conceivably win the president's cup and the stanley cup. They are all that good. I think LA will surprise some people this season, too. In the end, it's San Jose's turn to sniff the promised land.

Eastern Conference:

Southeast: Washington
Northeast: Boston
Atlantic: New Jersey
Other 5 Playoff Teams: Pittsburgh, Carolina, Philadelphia, Ottawa, Florida

Conference Champion: Washington

Its finally time for Ovechkin's team to overtake Crosby's team and get to the SC Finals. Washington is an immensely talented team. Probably one of the only teams in the East who could actually compete for a playoff spot in the West. I think this is the year they put it all together and ride the Ovie train to the promised land. The rest of the East is a crapshoot. A lotta people are high on Philly, but I don't see it. Ottawa could surprise with 2 very balanced scoring lines. And Florida has very quietly put together a very solid team. Both teams could surprise this year.

Stanley Cup Champion

San Jose Sharks

Yes, this is a total homer pick, but I also think if they are ever going to win a Cup, this is the year. Their team is going to be blown up next offseason no matter what, with all the free agents and young players due raises. It will be impossible to keep this current team together. This season San Jose has amassed an amazing collection of talent. They have grinders and speed guys and skill guys and penalty killers...they have everything it should take to win it all. So, its this year or bust for San Jose...at least for the immediate future.


Award Predictions:

I honestly don't know as much about predicting hockey awards as others, and I'm still a huge Sharks homer...but I'll take a crack at it nonetheless.

Hart Trophy (MVP): Joe Thornton, SJ
Art Ross (Most Points): Joe Thornton, SJ
Rocket Richard (Most Goals): Dany Heatley, SJ
Vezina Award (Top Goalie): Cam Ward, CAR
Norris Trophy (Top D-man): Nicklas Lidstrom, DET
Selke Award (Top Defensive Forward): Joe Pavelski, SJ
Calder Award (Top Rookie): Cody Hodgson, VAN
Adams Award (Top Coach): Bruce Boudreau, WAS
Conn Smythe (Playoff MVP): Patrick Marleau, SJ

So, yeah, all of these will be wrong come the end of the season...but its still fun to speculate.

Hopefully this didn't all go over your head. Hockey is a wonderful sport.

No comments: