September 28, 2009

MMR: Moving, Soreness, Unpacking, and Memory

This past weekend was moving weekend for me. I packed up all my shit and moved it from one side of town to the other side of town. I now reside in a townhouse on Capri Dr. It's pretty legit. Moving was just as exhausting as I feared it would be, though. Up and down and up and down stairs all day long...for two whole days. Took a tole on my knees a bit...I'm rather sore today. BUT...everything is in the new place!

Saturday was a long day. I woke up at 7am, and started running boxes to the truck. Brandon was super cool and came out to help me at 8, and we hauled the queen bed, the desk, and the dresser (and maybe a bookcase), as well as a ton of boxes, over to the house...got them all up the stairs and into my room. Super quick and amazingly convenient. Brandon took off after that load to continue his day, and I went back to the apartment and used the cable tv to watch some college football. Then Julie and Kenny came over at like 11 and we filled up my truck and his truck with the rest of my stuff and ran it over to the house. So by noon, 95% of my stuff was in the new place...in no semblance of order, of course, but at least there. Then I took them out to lunch, and then they bailed and I went back to the apartment to pack up some last minute stuff (cables and such...I left my TV there til sunday afternoon so I could watch football). And I watched some of the Texas game (Hook'Em Horns!). Then I headed back to the house and started the lengthy process of unpacking.

I started with the movies and books...since combined they took up like 8 boxes, are easy to unpack and put away, and gave me some breathing room in my room. Then Chris showed up and I drove him to the Uhaul place, then went up to Oakland with him in the Uhaul to pack his shit up, since he didn't have any help. We got to Oakland around 6, and were out of there a little after 8, with a full Uhaul of stuff. Got back around 9, and I helped unpack it a little bit, but Jason and Crystal jumped in and helped with most of the unpacking, and I went back up and got back to work on my room. Once the Uhaul was unloaded, I went with Chris back to drop it off and pick up my truck...then grabbed a late dinner, and went back to the house to continue the unpacking process.

At this point it was midnight, and I had no floor space, no bed space, no sheets....and I was exhausted. But I had to at least make the room sleepable...so I started with the desk and set up the two computers. Then I filled the desk with all the desk crap. Then I unpacked the clothes. I put together a few boxes to put upstairs in storage. Eventually, the bed was cleared off, so I could put my sheets on it. Once I got to that point, it was 1:30, and I needed a shower. Since our water wasn't turned on yet at the new place, I drove back to the apartment, took a shower, picked up some toiletries, and came back to the house for sleep. Got to sleep around 2:30am. Long ass day.

Sunday I woke up at 9, checked my fantasy teams, and then drove back to the apartment to utilize the cable tv there (ours doesn't get set up at the house until Thursday morning) to watch the Niners game. And oh man, it was such a good game until the last two seconds. The Niners played prevent defense in the last 2 minutes, which, of course, only prevents you from winning. They got scared to make the big mistake and instead let them march right down the field and take all the time off the clock in winning the game. Ugh. What a gut punch. Then the rest of Sunday was spent cleaning the apartment...getting it ready for inspection. Also packed up and moved out the last of my stuff (TV, cables, food stuffs, etc). Finished cleaning around 6, took the stuff back home, unpacked the truck. Then I had to go back out and buy some new electric burner grease drip trays for the old place, to replace the gross ones we had there. And I needed to clear out my fridge stuff. The apartment is now empty.

After dinner (another late one), I got back to the house, and needed to keep unpacking. This was like 9:30 by this point. It was slow going for a bit. But then things finally started to come together. By 12:30am, I had put everything away where it needed to be. I had all my storage boxes upstairs in the big storage closet. I had everything out from the middle of the floor. There's a few boxes left that I'd like to sift through and see whats in them, but its not essential. The room is unpacked and put away!

Next comes the decorating part of the process. All my posters and pictures and paintings and such are sitting in the hallway closet right now. Gotta figure out what will work best with the wall-space I have. But at least that will be more fun, and less frusterating.

Needless to say, I'm super tired and sore right now. I got very little sleep this weekend, took very little food breaks, and spent the whole time schlepping stuff around. Not exactly fun, but productive.

Anyways, today I went out to Fry's and bought an external hard drive for my computer. I figured it would come in handy. I've been wanting one for a while, and when I saw that I could get a 1 TB (yes, terabyte) hard drive for less than 100 bucks, I couldn't pass that up. Its just insane how cheap memory has become. I remember back when I first started getting computers, and a good computer had like 128 MB of memory. Now I have an extra hard drive with a terabyte...for hella cheap. Insanity.

Anyways, enough for today. I'll check back in one more time this week to discuss getting older, wiser, and being on the backside of my 20s. Ciao!

No comments: