June 29, 2009

Q's Adventures: Vegas...yes, again!

So, hopefully yall caught my write up from the airport Thursday night, and there are no surprises that I was in Vegas this weekend. There should also be no doubt over my love of The Vegas, as I profess it constantly.

That being said, this weekend's trip felt a little off to me. Don't get me wrong, I still had a good time. I mean, I love that place. It just wasn't the same amazing, spectacular, completely random and ridiculous time we've had in Vegas on trips past. I'm not going to attempt to pinpoint any reasons, though, so just take that statement as fact and we'll move on to a brief, random rundown of what transpired this weekend.

Thursday night I got pretty hammered. I didn't mean to, but I hadn't gone drinking in a long time, and my tolerance isn't what it used to be. We met some cool Canadian chicks at Treasure Island that night. One of them seemed pretty into me, but I got cockblocked. Weak. I don't remember much else of that evening...

Friday I woke up at like 9:30, even though I had only gotten to bed, as best I can recall, at like 5...so that kinda sucked. I ended up chilling in the room til noon or so, then it was off to the Luxor's buffet, some gambling (sorry, there was no gambling, I just ended up giving them my money for free), and then wandering around the strip for a bit. We had dinner at Gallagher's that night, then went to the Cirque de Soleil show Ka at MGM Grand. Ka was pretty phenomenal. They were also selling these giant drinks...it was like 40 oz of capt. n coke for 17 bones. Best deal of the weekend! After that we wandered down the strip, drinking and having a good time. That's a long ass walk from the MGM Grand to the Wynn, though.

Saturday I actually slept in a little later. We ended up back at the Luxor for their buffet around 1pm. Our cab ride down to the Luxor was interesting, as our cabbie was a pretty cool dude. He sold us these comp buffet tickets from the Bellagio, that included two rounds of drinks as well, for half what the actual buffet costs. I was a little skeptical at first, because I mean, come on, that's a pretty good racket...its 80 free bucks if it doesn't work. But it did, and it ended up being a great deal for us later that night for dinner. Anyways, more on that in a second.

After Luxor lunch, we walked down to the miracle mile shops at Planet Hollywood hotel. Bubs bought an original Godard painting for more than I care to say, but its pretty cool. And I always enjoy going to the Godard galary. There's a Wyland galary right across from the Godard one, too...and he's pretty great. So thats always a good place to spend part of an afternoon (especially when its 110 outside). After that we ended up in the Caesar's shops...and then went to the Bellagio's buffet for dinner. The comps worked, and we got in and got our two rounds of drinks for free. Hell of a deal. The buffet was insane too: Kobe beef, rack of lamb, ostrich, elk, lobster ravioli...etc. It was the most incredible buffet I'd ever seen. After dinner, we gambled at the Bellagio (and broke even for the night), then wandered back to the Wynn to play poker. But the poker line was hella long, so we went to TI to play craps, lost hella quick, got pissed, and just went to the bar. Eventually, Bubs went to bed, and Dave and I went to the deli at the Wynn to get a sandwich. Dave and I ended up chatting for quite a while, which was cool Dave is good people. Finally, it was bedtime...especially since we had flights to catch in the morning.

Sunday morning was just waking up, getting to the airport, grabbing a bite to eat once we got through security, and heading home...where it was equally hot. I fell asleep at 7 last night.

That was the trip. As I said, it was pretty good. Next time will be better. We're gonna use our cabbie contact to get good rates at the Bellagio!


Q's Challenge: Week 17

I figured I'd lump the challenge in with the Adventure writeup, since most of the Challenge was in Vegas this week. Seemed to make sense.

1. Golfed in the GE golf league: I subbed for my dad, and won because my opponent never showed up. But it was still kinda cool to get out and play golf in a somewhat competitive environment. I could see myself doing that again.
Grade: Decent. I like to golf. Wouldda been a different experience if my opponent had been there, methinks.

2. Stayed at the Wynn in Las Vegas: Never stayed there before, and let me tell you...it is amazingly gorgeous. The rooms were huge, well appointed, with a great view (ours was of their golf course). The whole hotel and casino was definalely just a class above where we usually stay. It was a pretty cool experience to be staying somewhere like that. The only complaint was that it was so far down the strip...long walk to everywhere we wanted to be.
Grade: Glorious. But I think next time I'm gonna shoot for the Bellagio.

3. Saw a new Cirque de Soleil show: Ka was amazing, but I already talked about that above. Was a new experience for me, though.
Grade: Glorious. Go see a Cirque show if you are in Vegas. They are totally worth it!

Now back to my boring week. Real life is less entertaining than Vegas life!

No comments: