December 15, 2008

MMR: Sugar Bowl

No, I'm not talking about skiiing. I hate the snow (as has been discussed in the past).

No, this blog will be discussing, generally, my New Years plans...and more specifically, my post-new years eve plans in New Orleans.

So, I got tickets to the Sugar Bowl! This Sugar Bowl, for the less informed, is one of the major bowl games of the college postseason. It's one of the 5 big BCS Bowls (the others being Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and the National Championship Game). For a sports fan like me, this is pretty cool. And for a college football fan, the Sugar Bowl is definately on the list of things to do in one's life. This is gonna be pretty cool.

This year, the Sugar Bowl pits #4 Alabama (12-1) vs. #6 Utah (12-0). This is only the second time two teams with 12 wins have faced off in the Sugar Bowl, and one of only a handful of times that two teams so highly ranked were in the Bowl. Needless to say, it should be an awesome game.

After careful consideration and deliberation with my travel mate, Chaz and I have decided we will be cheering for Alabama in the game...for entirely selfish reasons. First, Alabama is much closer to New Orleans than Utah is. There will be loads more Bama fans there than Ute fans...thus cheering for Alabama will make us more friends. Also, Alabama is favored to win, and we will have more fun cheering for a winner. Finally, who the hell cares who wins? It's just college football. We'll be having a blast either way.

Anyways, the Sugar Bowl is just another small addition to what should already be an amazing weekend. We get into the Big Easy at 6:45 on New Years Eve. This should give us enough time to get to the hotel, get unpacked, and get showered and dressed for the evening. Puts us on the street at like 9, and then its time to wander the French Quarter and get fucked up! New Years will happen (I'm assuming we'll migrate with the masses down to Jackson Square for the fireworks), and then back to the French Quarter to party until we pass out. I'll have to remember to nap on the plane.

The following day is New Years day, and I'll probably use that for recovery. Sleep in til the afternoon (since we probably will be up all night) and maybe watch the Rose Bowl while I chillax. Then we'll probably hit up one of the better jazz clubs in the area, or just wander around and see what New Orleans has to offer. Another night in the French Quarter should put us back into the room the next morning.

The 2nd will probably also be spent recovering, although we'll probably get a chance to see more of the city that day too. And then that evening is the Sugar Bowl. Then we'll party with the Bama fans after the game, make some friends, and, well, that's that!

The 3rd is our final day there, and I'm not sure what we'll do then, but I'm sure it'll be epic. The 4th we come home, and get ready to go to work on Monday the 5th. Glorious.

Anyways, this should be an epic trip. I'm surprised no one else wanted to come with us, but it won't hurt my enjoyment of one of my favorite holidays one bit. I mean, I'm ringing in the new year in the French Quarter, and then going to the freaking Sugar Bowl! How freaking awesome is that???

Yeah, I'm a wee bit stoked!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to come, but funds and school make it not so